1892 Lever choice

E.J.W.

I'm suffering from "need another gun fever".
I want a 1892 lever action in 357 Mag all blue with a 20" barrel.
My choices are a Rossi R92 -or- a Winchester 1892.
The Rossi is within my budget and the Winchester is not (right now).
Should I save more pennies for the Winchester or would the Rossi be a decent choice? This rifle will be a shooter and likely not spend much time in the safe.
I owned a Trails End Winchester in 44 Mag some years back. I loved it but it was just a novelty gun as I shot it only for fun. I let it go to pay some bills during spouses job loss.
I'm able now to replace it and need help deciding.
Thanks.
E.:cool:

Scorch

Rather than get a Rossi and deal with all the little quality issues, buy a Chiappa and get a real replica. A little more money, but a lot better gun.

Water-Man

All Rossi don't have "all the little quality issues". Mine doesn't.

It's an LSI/Puma M92 from 2008. Good to go from out of the box.

Generalization doesn't always work.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If you possibly can, wait a bit longer and buy a decent Winchester. That way you won't have to worry about how well the Spanish or Italians or Chinese or Brazilians copied the real thing - you will have the real thing.

Jim

skizzums

my rossi is so danged accurate and quiet as a .22. no regrets there. I wouldn't sell if for anything. everyone in family is the best shot with iron sighted rossi than any other gun we own. never a jam. it is sensitive to being overly tilted when racking, but I would assume they all are. great rifle at an okay price. I paid 550$ for mine, NIB, 20" stainless. bought one year ago, probably around 6-700 down the pipe. feeds even double ended wadcutters as long as they are .38s

DPris

Member Emeritus
Just for fun: The Japanese didn't copy the "real thing" very well at all. :)
They monkeyed with the action more than the Italians or the Brazilians did.

I have a Miroku in .45 here, have two Rossis in .45 Colt here, have a Chiappa in .44-40 here, have had a Chiappa in .45 Colt.

The Chiappa was closest to the original in having no safety added. Good quality.

The Win is the best quality, but with rebounding hammer system that makes the gun harder to cycle, and added safeties.

The Rossi is very do-able, typically oversprung & has that idiotic wing safety up on top now.
Properly slicked up, the two I have are VERY slick.

Denis

jstanfield103

If you are really wanting a 92 type the Rossi is really a good gun and a lot smoother and more durable than the Winchester.
If you would really like to save a little money buy a Marlin for the best gun and as you get older you can scope it or put peep sights on it for even better sighting for older eye's.
One thing about the Rossi's is that they do not have the holes in the side of the receiver for a Williams or Lyman peep sight. You will have to put the peep in the safety at the top of the bolt. If you are ever interested in doing that. Rossi is also a lot harder to find parts for as they will not sell them to you (many of them) you have to send the rifle to them to get anything repaired. But you probably will never have a problem.

Buzzard Bait

Marlin

Are there still marlin 357 levers out there? I had one once long ago traded it off when things were tight and always regretted letting it go.
bb

DPris

Member Emeritus
Marlin has revamped the .357, had planned to start shipping in volume in September, delayed, should be available again shortly.
Denis

jstanfield103

I have a Henry Big Boy in .357 waiting to find a Marlin, been looking for awhile now. I hope you are correct and they start shipping soon.

E.J.W.

Thanks to all for "feeding my fever". I've been looking at Marlins, Brownings & the Chaippas. I really like the Chaippa's but they too are a bit out of my budget right now. Some of the reading suggests that an actual Winchester is not the best quality of all the brands discussed? I kinda thought they were near the top.
I think for what I'm going to be doing with the rifle (fun shooter) that a Rossi may fit the bill for now. I'd love to have one of those 41 Mag Marlins to match my 41 Mag S&W 57 but they too are "up there".
I also read the case hardened finish of the Rossi's is not real durable so I will stick with blued.
Thanks again.
E.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Overall, based on what I've seen, I think the Mirokus are the best quality in terms of fit, finish & metallurgy in the current '92 pattern.

They just are not the most "original design" version. :)
Denis

az_imuth

I picked up a blued Rossi (38/357) with the 24" octagon barrel back in 2010 and haven't had a single issue with it. It's smooth, accurate, and a hoot to shoot. Shooting 38's feels like firing a .22. If I was intending to hunt or carry the rifle a lot I would opt for a shorter round barrel, but I really like the long sight radius and the crescent buttstock on this 24" model.
b29335ab-f48f-4b7e-be40-7e3e77c73a58_zps60384c56.jpg

eastbank

when i get time i,ll tell you about 92 original winchesters i have bought for under 1000.00, the last two winchesters i bought were two weeks ago, a 92 with a special order half oct-half round barre and a button magizine in 25-20 in vg condition with ex bore and a 94 carbine in 25-35 in the same condition for 1700.00 OTD for both. i have 92,s in 25-20,32-20,38-40 and 44-40 and only one was over a 1000.00, a model 53 win in 44-40 in super shape in and out. if you want a original caliber in a 92 i would buy a original win rifle. eastbank.

PatientWolf

If you are patient and would consider a slightly shorter barrel, you might also watch for a used Browning B-92, although they seem to be pretty rare animals in .357.

Last edited: