1884 trapdoor

kab37

Need some help with ammo for my trapdoor. Just celebrated the Forth and the reloads left a nic cloud of smoke but no accuracy at 100 yards.

When I bought the rifle for $20 in 1960 I fired standard out of the box new production 45-70 Govt. Stopped that about ten years ago.

Is it safe to use Remington 405 grain 45-70 govt (for any rifle)?

Please don't tell me to reload. Don't want to leave home after 45 years of marriage.

Hawg

Yeah, they're safe. I used Winchester 300 grain in mine and I think they're hotter than the 405 Remington. Mine did shoot better with bp and 405 grain lead bullets.

30-30remchester

You must make sure that the box states "SAFE IN ANY RIFLE". These are great guns but a weak design. There are some hot load in the world these days that will destroy the rifle and likely the shooter as well. It is an old adage that nothing but lead bullets should be shot in early guns as their barrels are very soft and the rifling can suffer severe wear when using jacketed bullets. PMC and other produce factory ammo with low preasures and lead bullets.

Chris_B

Thanks guys

kab37 is my Father. I was poking fun at how badly I shot the trapdoor when we went shooting. We had four shooters I think, and I, my Father, and one other person even hit the paper- a big Q target, at 100 yards. I was more accurate with my M1 carbine at 100 yards. We suspect the (handload) ammunition we were using, as some were badly keyholing. In the past, the rifle has been quite accurate

The last thing I'd like is the rifle or the shooter to be damaged. I need to get around to photographing the Trapdoor and posting it- you guys would be surprised how good it looks