1873 Colt Peacemaker...Exact Replica??

According to Cimarron Firearms website, their Model P claims it has "long been the most authentic and highest quality reproduction of the 1873 Colt®." And, Budsgunshop.com states it to be an "Exact copy of early 1st generation Single Action Army."
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/cartridge-revolvers/model-p-1873-1896.html
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ucts_id/411539909/CIM+MOD+P+45LC+4.75+OLD+MOD

In comparing the 1st generation Colt to this gun, is the Cimarron truly that close of a replica?

Thanks

DPris

Member Emeritus
It has different cylinder dimensions, different threads, the Uberti hammer safety, the Uberti extended base pin, different wood as mentioned, no recoil plate, no removable hammer cam, and so on.
Denis

James K

Member In Memoriam
Most repros were never intended to be "exact copies" of the originals, and they are not. Sometimes differences are intentional, with the idea of keeping the repro from being passed off as original to the less experienced, but mostly because making the gun a true copy would have involved changes the factory was not prepared to make. No European factory, for example, would change its screw thread machines to an obsolete U.S. thread size just for "originality" in repros.

Jim

Close Enough To Get The Feel

I see what ya'll are saying. I guess some of the replicas are close enough to get the feel of the Colt 1873. Perhaps, after finding one that "looks" the part, finding one with enough sturdiness to be used for years would be the next goal.

DPris

Member Emeritus
They are fairly close in looks, feel & function, but in no way can they be legitimately called an "exact" copy.
Denis

trigger643

I thought the discontinued USFA were pretty close and that the now defunct AWA had 100% parts interchangeability with the 1873?

James K

Member In Memoriam
FWIW, the USFA was the only repro that felt (to me) like the old Colts. The new Colts don't.

Jim

DPris

Member Emeritus
USFAs started out with Uberti parts & after US manufacture started still retained some dimensional differences between them and the Colts.

The old ASM guns were most definitely NOT 100% interchangeable with Colts.

Denis

Hawg

Uberti's are good guns. My Cimarron has a set of Wolff reduced power springs in it and aftermarket grips. The springs give it a nicer action with softer clicks making it feel more like an original Colt. The grips while not period correct still look good. I whacked off the end of the two stage cylinder pin. It looks much better now without the extra pin sticking out in front and it was a PITA to get it installed correctly with the black powder frame. Mine is in 44-40 and has been rocking since 2000.

Hunter Customs

It may not be an exact copy of COLT but the Cimarron (Uberti) sure feels good in the hand.

I have a Cimarron (Uberti) that has the sweetest trigger pull right out of the box of any mass produced gun I've ever owned, including the Colt's I've owned, the fit and finish of the Cimarron is excellent, and the accuracy is outstanding.

I believe I've shot about 3500 rounds through this gun in the short time I've owned it, I have a heck of a time putting it away.

I was looking a my bullet supply, it's time to order another 4000.

I would not hesitate in buying another Cimarron SA revolver.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

James K

Member In Memoriam
The Ubertis are generally good guns and I think are getting better. I have two (one is a Cimarron, the other with the Uberti name) and neither has given any trouble.

But the thread was about "exact" copies of the Colt 1873 and Ubertis aren't.

Jim

DPris

Member Emeritus
Ubertis can still be variable, but they've come a long way since the new factory was built.
They're just not exact copies, if that's what you're looking for.
Denis

Not Looking for Exact Copies

Thanks for the input, folks. I am not looking for an exact replica of the Colt 1873. Just the closest replica...to experience the 1870's Western legend...that is built solidly, with quality, and is able to handle years of shooting loads of 250-260 grain bullets at 800-850 FPS (in this case from a 4 5/8" barrel).

Bezoar

there is no exact replica. and here is why.

To build the exact replica would require an outlay of resources no fiscally minded entity would agree to do.

the steel itself isnt made anymore. the process to make that steel used in first generation colts, hasnt been done since the colt factory stopped using it. it was colt patent metal. As a result youd have to build or retool an entire steel mill just to make it.
get the idea?

As far as dimensions go, there are over 150 KNOWN design changes to the colt revolver. mainly little things like the radius of the flute on this part, so forth. to get an exact replica would require meseauring 1873 #1. its a well known fact that the first one is a very used and abused gun. dimensions on all parts arent as they left the factory.

Hawg

I am not looking for an exact replica of the Colt 1873. Just the closest replica...to experience the 1870's Western legend...that is built solidly, with quality, and is able to handle years of shooting loads of 250-260 grain bullets at 800-850 FPS (in this case from a 4 5/8" barrel).

Uberti will do that. If you really want to experience the western legend as you put it you really need to reload using black powder. Smokeless just doesn't cut it.

Hawg Haggen,
I agree. Currently, I don't have any black powder. But, I do have 4 lbs of Triple Seven FFFg. Perhaps, that would be fun to use in a 1873 replica.

Howdy

If you want the closest replica you can get, I hope you have good eyesight. The early Colts had a thin V groove for the rear sight. It was difficult to see, and with good reason Colt changed the V shaped rear sight to a square notch late in the 1st Gen. The square notch was continued into the 2nd and 3rd Gens. Most of the replicas claiming to be exact copies have a thin V groove for the rear sight, very similar to the originals.

Hear is a photo of the rear sights of a 2nd Gen Colt on the left and an Uberti Cattleman on the right. Guess which one is easier to see when actually shooting the guns. The early Colts had a thin tapered blade for the front sight, the 2nd Gen had a thicker, parallel sided blade. Also easier to see.

2ndGenColtandUbertiCattleman_zpsbe079bb7.jpg

For comparison, here is the rear sight of a Bisley Colt made in 1909. Even smaller and harder to see than the Cimarron.

BisleyColt_zps4d8dbbd3.jpg

Beware of how exact a replica you ask for, you may get just what you asked for.

Hunter Customs

Driftwood Johnson brings up a good point about the sights.
However there's a way of making the thin tapered front sight and smaller V notch rear a plus when it comes to sights.

I'm 65 years old with tired eyes so the thinner tapered blade front with small V notch rear was harder for me to see well on my Cimarron (Uberti) SA revolver.

So to help me get a better sight picture I took one of my fine Arkansas stones that I use for trigger jobs and near the very tip of the front sight I polished a small area.
This did not change the width of the front sight it just gave me a small silver spot on my front sight to use as a reference point.

I now see the front sight in the V notch much better ( extremely well I might add) and for pin point accuracy I actually prefer the smaller sights of my Cimarron (Uberti) over the wider blade front and wide notch rear that's on my other SA revolvers.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com