1861 Colt black powder muzzle loader rifle

PolarFBear

1861 Colt black powder muzzle loader rifle. Found one of these at a local show today. It "intrigues" me. I have several "smoke poles" in my arsenal already. I know it is a reproduction, but looks unfired. Asking was $650 w/o bayonet. Any inputs welcomed.

mehavey

Colt's Special (Contract) Model of the `61 Springfield/Enfield.
http://www.nramuseum.org/guns/the-g...special-model-1861-contract-rifle-musket.aspx
One of the best of it's kind.

Run a Lyman 575213 (thin skirt) over 60gr 2Fg lubed with
Three parts Crisco, 1 part Beeswax.
Dip to fill the bands and let solidify
Don't worry if a little messy when rough handled. Still works.
Shot after shot after shot after shot after shot w/ no cleaning
64 years of North-South Skirmish Association can't be wrong

2vcfg21.jpg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...3-58-caliber-575-diameter-510-grain-new-style

I'd take that over an import. Remember the Colt was neither a pure 1861 nor an Enfield. It was authorized by the War Department though and this is a repro of that smokepole.

l.cutler

Just a clarification, these rifle muskets were not actually made by Colt. The parts were made in Italy by one of the major Italian repro manufacturers and assembled in the US.

PolarFBear

mehavey. Gave it a second look today and declined the purchase. Price was UP to $675. Could find no maker. Maybe it's under the barrel and above the stock. With no accessories and well fired condition I kept my Benjamins in my pocket. I have no idea where I would have used it anyway. But, like a crow, I am attracted to shiny things.

Hawg

Just a clarification, these rifle muskets were not actually made by Colt. The parts were made in Italy by one of the major Italian repro manufacturers and assembled in the US.

It's my understanding they were fully made in Italy and distributed by the Colt Black Powder Arms Co. They were made under license from Colt but Colt had nothing to do with the manufacture or sale of them. They merely sold the rights to use their name and logo.

l.cutler

It's my understanding they were fully made in Italy and distributed by the Colt Black Powder Arms Co. They were made under license from Colt but Colt had nothing to do with the manufacture or sale of them. They merely sold the rights to use their name and logo.
That is possible Hawg, I have no hard information, just what I have heard through the NSSA. The parts at least are made in Italy though, and assembly there as well makes sense.