1858 with 5.5" Barrell

detroiter711

Hey all, I have been watching the Cabela's sale and they have the Pietta 1858 with 5.5" barrel for a decent price. My question is, what is the accuracy of this pistol like? Do these tend to shoot: low, high or to point of aim? Does anyone out there have experience with these?

Model12Win

I would grab one. The brass framed models are usually cheaper and are worth it. They sometimes shoot high, no matter.

drobs

I almost pulled a trigger on one of those, till I found myself on gunbroker bidding on and winning another Pietta 1860. This one comes with a 45 colt conversion cylinder for the same price as the short barrel 1858 at Cabellas.

I'm still craving one of those short barrel 1858's. Much more handy for carry.

Cabella's has $5 shipping right now for orders over $99. Use code: 56TENTS

swathdiver

Great guns, fast twist barrels, shoot low so you can file the front sight to your load's point of aim. Nice carry piece with Kaido Conicals.

DD4lifeusmc

I've had one three yr now.
Shoots just fine.
as in any other fixed non adjustable sight weapon it is up to you to adapt and learn to hold your aim, if it can not be adjusted by filing.

However, mine is quite accurate with 30 gr fffg and 190 gr conicals

Erich

IMG_20140125_161626_451.jpg

They shoot remarkably well for the price you pay (mine was delivered to me for $177).

5 shots at 10 yards
IMG_20140126_141444_313.jpg

ABQ City Range (5950'>sea level), 52°F - Mean 1109 fps / ES 76.94 / SD 30.16 (135-gr .454" ball, CCI # 10, 30 grains of 777 with Wonder Wad)

deerslayer303

The 5.5" barreled Remington NMA is by far my Favorite '58. The shorter barrel makes the pistol balance and carry so well. They are very accurate from my experience. I was a dummy and let my "Sheriff" go when I was moving. But I plan to get another.

Stormson

The 5.5" Pietta Remmi was my first black powder handgun.

Got it on a whim, mostly because of the ammo shortage a few years back. Guess what? I was SO impressed that I am now a truly dedicated convert!

Accuracy?? Eh... Thats probably more up to YOU then the gun. At least it was in the case of MY short remmi... It shoots better then I can see when its fed the loads that it likes best. Of course you'll have to find what that load is for your gun, but I'd bet if ya do you will NOT be disappointed...

Edit to add:

Hey, the pietta remmi is what it is. Its an AWESOME 'pick up truck gun'. Its not the TOP of the line, and I will be upgrading both of my remmi's to Uburti's in the future.. But I am also thinking of the possibility of competition one day, and I have smallish hands that the Uberti will fit better. As for an every day working gun? I personally think the short pietta is hard to beat. If you find that you feel differently then it wont be hard at ALL to recoup all or most of your investment. If you decide that, like me, you simply cannot go back to a life that doesnt include black powder, again, it wont be hard to sell when you want to upgrade.

In short, the 5.5" Pietta Remington is probably the very BEST (in MY warped mind lol) introduction to the life altering world of black powder revolvers.

Just be prepared,and understand, that if you DO 'pull the trigger' (hehe pun!) there is simply no turning back!!

Last edited:

drobs

noelf2 said:
I got one a couple years back when Cabelas had a sale and free shipping. I have yet to shoot it.

That's just wrong you know. Have to take it out and shoot it.

Don't worry though, I'm just as guilty had an full size 1858 that had never seen black powder for about 10 years.

ZVP

Great revolvers!
Can be loaded heavy for lots of power plenty accurate for gunfight in (lol).
I have mine sighted in for 21 ft.POI with a 35 grains of pyrodex charge with round balls.
Super tough revolver, never drops a cap or Jams.clean residue every 7 cylinders for smoothest operation.
Great trigger, heavy hammer pull.
Great protection revolver!
Easy to clean.

rodwhaincamo

Mine shoots just a bit low and to the left at 15 yds. I've considered an Uberti sight dovetailed to fix the windage. Filing the sight down a bit can get me to POA.