1858 Remmie dropping into half cock, seizing up

steelbird

Well, I've got a problem with my previously always reliable old Remmie. It's an old Armsport model, and the date code marks it as 1978 manufacture. I was getting it ready for my summer shooting season, and it's developed an intermittent problem of dropping into half cock and seizing up ( I can un-seize it, but it takes some effort ). I took it apart, cleaned it off, and there's no apparent signs of wear or breakage. I put it back together, and the problem is still there. Unsure if the mainspring isn't engaging properly, or if it's the sear, or what. I'm considering the Cabela's replacement kit, knowing that I may have to do some "Dremeling" on the parts. Anyone have any suggestions as to what's going on here?
Thanks!

sltm1

Just a guess, but it sounds like the engaging teeth on the hammer are worn, a little file work might be all that's necessary, that or replace both it and the trigger.

mykeal

It drops into half cock when?

If it's after being fully cocked and the trigger is pulled it's likely to be a weak mainspring - weak as in stretched, fatigued, cracked or misaligned.

If you have it fully cocked and it slips into half cock without the trigger being pulled then, yes, it's probably a worn or broken full cock notch, or perhaps the sear tip on the trigger is worn or broken. I think you'd be able to tell if the full cock notch on the hammer was worn just by visual inspection, but the sear tip on the trigger is a different matter; that you'd probably need to compare directly with a new part.

Hellgate

If you see a chip off the Bach edge of the trigger sear then a new trigger or a restoned and hardened sear is needed. I have yet to replace a hammer or broken mainspring but I ve replaced a couple of triggers and restored a trigger sear or two. Case hardener comes in handy for fixing triggers. If you just file or stone a new sear it will not hold up. On a colt, the hammer height will change with a shorter trigger and change your point of impact.

steelbird

Thanks for the replies, all.
Mykeal - yes, it drops into half cock after I pull the hammer back into the full cock position, no trigger pull. I found that Dixie Gun Works has replacement parts, and fairly inexpensive, too. Hammer, trigger, and sear for under $40, including shipping. Hopefully, that will take care of it.

44 Dave

Once you get the new parts you can afford to mess with the old, you may be able to file the full-cock notch and get rid of trigger creep and have about a 3# trigger pull, which is where I want mine.

Some of us bought Guitar Nut files for deepening hammer notches. I still suspect that the geometry of the hammer needs work (perhaps a bit of welding) so as to allow more clearance from the safety notch (but I have to see it and how it interacts with the sear).

steelbird

the trigger

We have a winner - it was the trigger. Using the new one as a guide, I noticed a very tiny piece of metal from the old one had snapped off - didn't see it before. Replacing the trigger has got my Remmie back in business.