1858 Remington Conversion

So i have always i have always liked the looks of the 1858 Remington Conversion pistols and was thinking about getting one sometime in the future. I know that Uberti/taylor is offering a reproduction but is anyone else? Would appreciate any info on 58 Rem reproductions in 44-40 or 45 Colt.

jimaw2

I picked up the cabellas pietta 58 with adj. sights and installed a 5 shot conversion cylinder. the thing out shoots my 629 smith!

Tidewater_Kid

I love mine and it's a six shot .45LC version.

remington1.jpg

TK

I should have added that mine came from Cabela's (Pietta) and that is an R&D conversion cylinder.

Last edited:

gak

IIRC, the '58 was used by Lee Van Cleef in one of the two Eastwood Spaghettis he appeared in, forget which. Cool gun.

TomL

58 Reminton

GAK, that would have been, "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" Funny thing tho, in the scene where the three shootists are gonna get to find out whats written on the rock, Van Cleefe is going to pull his 58 out of a cross draw rig and its plain to see its the Cap n Ball version, tho his belt loops are filled with metalic cartridges? Still a great flick. The other film with the 58 was "Pale Rider" another Eastwood flick. I liked his conversion for metallic cartridges...nothing more than machined cylinders to accept them and he just broke down the loading lever and pulled the cylinder pin, removed the just fired cyl and replaced it with the fresh cyl, he even had little holsters for the new/used cyls. TL

TomL

58 Remington

Another intersting occurance with the 58, and I came across this fact in my studies on Civil War Firearms use is that the 58's needed more attention to cleaning as the black powder fouling would cake up on the top strap above the gap between cylinder and rear of barrel and the revolver would "jam" or fail to rotate the cylinder. Whereas the open top or "loose cylinder" 1860 Colt Army did not suffer from this. Of course we are talking of serious combat with many a round fired. TL

10-96

I wish they would have put that octogon bbl on the Remington 1875 Army/Outlaw. That thing just looks way too sweet!