1858/63 Remington

Buzzcook

Just got this New Model Army made by E.N. Santa Barbara Spain.

Now I need some care and feeding info. Is there a schematic on line to help me take this thing apart? And what kind of powder and how many grains? Should I stick with ball or are there conical bullets I should look at?

It's a real pretty gun, I found a thread on the exact same gun. here.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3405057

arcticap

The diagram for the Santa Barbara is contained in the links below.

Here's an instructional link to disassembly:

http://www.alliancelink.com/srrs/articles/1858disassembly.htm

Here's a PDF of the similar Pietta 1858 owner's manual.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/products/CAP BALL REVOLVER INFO 2.pdf

35 grains of fffg or Pyrodex P powder can be safely loaded with round balls, but a medium load is about 28-30 grains.
Loading round balls is easier and the best way to begin to get some shooting experience with the revolver.
If loading with 777 powder use 15% less by volume because it's more potent and produces more recoil.
Enjoy shooting that nice revolver. :)

Attachments

• Santa Barbara50%.jpg
    Santa Barbara50%.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Santa Barbara 2 50%.jpg
    Santa Barbara 2 50%.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 107

Smokin_Gun

Just got this New Model Army made by E.N. Santa Barbara Spain.

Congrads ... well done!

I use 28gr of fffg Black Powder Goex and KIK, with a .457" or can use a .454" round ball sittin' on a lube pill or wad, or dry.. Found round ball to be much more accurate than the original type conicals.

kflach

Wow, that's a beautiful piece!

I own a '58 Remmie as well, and I Love it! I've consistently read that the round lead balls are more accurate than the conicals. I shoot .454 round balls, and I use 25.5 grains of fffg Goex Black Powder. My gun shoots straight and I frequently hit the things I'm aiming at. If I didn't have a brass frame I'd put a full 30 grain load in just to make bigger fire and smoke.

Buzzcook

Thanks for the info guys.
I've always liked the looks of the Remington more than other cap and ball revolvers.
This came from an uncles estate along with a percussion rifle and a flintlock pistol. I'll be asking about them later.

My only problem is once my black powder shooting friends find out I have these guns they're going to demand pay back for all the times they let me shoot theirs.:)

Suiftwater

Santa Barbara Remington

Hallo “Buzzcook”, you have une of the most desirables Remington reproductions, it was made in Spain by E.N. Santa Barbara, the National Guns Factory, it is out of production and last units were sold here in Spain last year for 700 Euro each one (near 1000 $), near of 17.000 units were made, most of them for international sellers, no factory spare parts available.

This revolver is very usefull in professional championships here in Spain, it is well made with hard still, it support miles of shots without breakdowns.

The only flaw that I can find in this beauty is that main spring is too hard, change it for a Pietta one, working with the original you are going to break the hammer prematurely.

The recomended charges for precision purposes is 18 grains of fffg black powder and .451 round ball. This revolver support perfectly hard charges for diversion or hunting purposes.

This gun is not an ornamental copy as some of the italian replicas, it is a real gun, in this case the chambers diameters are not smaller than the barrel groves so conicals works fine too.

This is a Spanish link regarding this gun, you can traduce it to English with google if you need:

http://translate.google.es/translat...iarma-04-01-01.php&sl=es&tl=en&hl=es&ie=UTF-8

Regards

Buzzcook

Suiftwater, I agree with with that article the handle is a bit small. That means that it is an accurate reproduction. I have large hands and find that I have the same problem with other old handguns and realistic reproductions of them. A 1873 Colt SAA had what we would consider to be a very small handle compared to modern variations of them.
18 grains seems a little light. I was thinking of working up from 28 grains as articap recommended. The manual he referenced suggested 30 grains.

Smokin_Gun

My 1861 Remington Old Army and the E.N. SB's grips are about identical and also closely resemble the dimensions of the Remington original.