1851 Navy Pepperbox

GaryED50

Hi guys

Thinking of adding this oddball to my collection. Has anyone here bought or fired one?
RH1050.jpg

AKexpat

It is nothing more than a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 steel framed revolver. It still has the barrel lug locating pins on the frame and the wedge slot in the arbor. The end of the arbor has been drilled and tapped for the cylinder retaining screw.

If the smoothbore cylinder was available separately, any of my Pietta 1851 .36 Navy "type" revolvers could easily become a "pepperbox".

Regards,

Jim

noelf2

I'm wondering how long it will hold up with an unsupported arbor.
Forever if you don't drop it. No guns hold up well if they're dropped a lot. My pietta pepperbox can shoot a 1 inch group in a pie plate at 12 inches.

Pathfinder45

I think it's ridiculous. I would call it stupid except for the fact that stupid often sells well. So maybe it's actually a smart bet on the part of the maker since there's no shortage of, umm, err..., fellows, that might buy it because they have more money than they need for other more practical things. It invites ridicule, as it should. "If we make it, they will buy it." There are at least several other firearms and related items that are equally worthy of derision; so, yeah, go for it.:D

noelf2

I think it's ridiculous. I would call it stupid except for the fact that stupid often sells well. So maybe it's actually a smart bet on the part of the maker since there's no shortage of, umm, err..., fellows, that might buy it because they have more money than they need for other more practical things. It invites ridicule, as it should. "If we make it, they will buy it." There are at least several other firearms and related items that are equally worthy of derision; so, yeah, go for it.:D
Ridiculous guns are one of my interests, and it's awesome to have so much expendable $$... [emoji857]

OP..If you fancy one, get one.You won't be disappointed. The real umm err fellows are the ones that think you should think like them. You do you! [emoji1783]

GaryED50

Do you get the feeling Pietta had a party one night and after a few one of the designers said "Hey I have an idea what to do with some of the extra parts"

noelf2

Do you get the feeling Pietta had a party one night and after a few one of the designers said "Hey I have an idea what to do with some of the extra parts"
Not really. Tooling for the cylinder wouldn't be a spare parts sort of thing. But it is a revolver that is a breeze to tune, with no barrel to cylinder gap, arbor depth issues, or need for a wedge. I originally got mine on a Cabela's sale with the intention of fitting a 36 cal cylinder and sheriff barrel to it as well, but the wedge started messing with the screw threads in the arbor's wedge slot so I gave up on that idea. I had an 1851 snub with the thunderer grip, and swapped grips with the pepperbox. The .36 cylinder and sheriff barrel work great on the snub's frame as well so it wasn't a total failure. The pepperbox looks awesome cool with the thunderer grip though. [emoji846]

jdc606

with the intention of fitting a 36 cal cylinder and sheriff barrel to it as well, but the wedge started messing with the screw threads in the arbor's wedge slot so I gave up on that idea. [emoji846]

Yes, bought a new Pietta 1851 Navy assembled using the pepperbox arbor. Doesn't work as the wedge slot got real sloppy in less than two cylinders fired. Sent the revolver to EMF and Pietta sent a complete replacement revolver.
Discussed the issue first with Pietta who thought the pepperbox arbor should work. The tech at EMF said they've received many returns that demonstrate the pepperbox arbor doesn't hold up if you are planning on switching from pepperbox to '51 Navy revolver should you decide the pepperbox is not to your liking.

101combatvet

Yeah, it reminds me of the self-defense pistols my sister and brother-in-law carry. She carries a .22 caliber revolver, and he has a Derringer cambered in 4-10.