1851 Navy Confederate .44 Cal

Katfish Kern

I was looking in Cabelas, and I saw this pistol. I dont know what it is about it...but I want it. I tried to order it, and the lady at Cabelas told me that they were so backed up with this pistol, that they would not recieve any more until march 25th. I need some real no B.S. about this gun, can somebody please help. I have spoken with alot of folks about it. Some love the ball and caps...others tell me that all the charges will go off and blow my hand off (not really looking for that to happen). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

GO VOLS

Hawg

It's a good starter gun even tho the brass frame and .44 caliber are not historically accurate for a 51 Navy. The brass frame won't hold up to heavy loads but will last a lifetime with moderate loads. Black powder is a whole nother world but a fun one. You can forget just about everything you know about shooting and cleaning smokeless because it won't work with black. Use lubed wads under the balls or lube over them and you won't have any chain fires. If you do have a chain it won't blow your hand off. Unless it's some kind of freak accident it won't do you any harm.

Hawg

Whats the deal with peanut butter?? Some guys are telling me that I need to put peanut butter in the breach.

They're jerking your chain.:D Lubing with peanut oil would work but kind of expensive compared to olive oil or other vegetable based lubes. One thing you don't want to do is use petroleum based lubes in the bore or chambers.

Fingers McGee

Katfish,

There is lots and lots of info on the web to get you started correctly. Visit these other forums and read up on the how tos

http://www.curtrich.com/frontiersmen.html

http://www.curtrich.com/bpsubsdummies.html

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?board=31.0

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,82.0.html

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207029

A warning though - you will get information overload.

Another good way to get started is to partner up with someone near you that shoots C&Bs on a regular basis.

FM

PS. Chunky would be my guess. Sorta like a buck & ball load.

Hawg

What Fingers said. There's a lot of different ways of doing things with bp. Doesn't mean any of them are wrong, just different. Read all you can and ask questions and experiment and decide which way is best for you. BTW, if it was me I'd spend the extra bucks and get a steel frame.

Katfish Kern

Thanks for all the help fellas. I'm just keeping my feet wet now, so should I spend more now, or just tinker around with this for now??

Hawg

The brass .44 is a good entry level gun. It'll get you addicted and you'll get more later on anyway. :D The only thing about brass is it won't handle a steady diet of loads of 30 grs. or more like the steel ones will. You'll want .454 balls not the .451's Cabela's has in their starter kits.

Gaucho Gringo

I have the steel framed version that bought from the Possibles Shop. I paid $169.00 for it last year but they have gone up to $179.00. It is still a good buy at that prices. They are listed under on sale revolvers.

w_houle

"I have the steel framed version that bought from the Possibles Shop. I paid $169.00 " That's what I paid for mine from Orscheln and I bought the R&D Cylinder from MidwayUSA for $175. The only thing is it likes .45 Schofield or .45Colt handloaded to 1.58"

madcratebuilder

Thanks for all the help fellas. I'm just keeping my feet wet now, so should I spend more now, or just tinker around with this for now??

The brass frame well get you out shooting for the smallest investment. The accessories well apply to other revolvers if you decide you want more of these fire spiting smoke monsters. Have you looked at the 1858 that Cabela's has on sale? The 1858 may be the best 'first' BP revolver, very forgiving. These can be very addicting, you could end up with dozens of them.

Doc Hoy

Sale? Sale?

MadCrateBuilder,

Just went to Cabela's sight and did not see a sale flier that included an 1858 Remington, but they do have a steel frame for 219.00 or 259.00 with all the stuff.

I agree this would be a good way to start.

I have two 1858's from ASM. One from 1984 (steel) and one from 1988 (brass) Niether has been shot very much, in fact the think the steel frame has never been fired. They are both very tight. Good pistols.

madcratebuilder

Doc
Cabela's may have ended that sale price the end of the month. I do know they run them on sale every six months or so. I picked up the target 1858 for $200 last summer. It turned out to be a nice shooter. If you look strictly at the price it may be one of the best deals around.
Sign up for Cabela's e-mails, join their club, you well get 15 and 20% discount coupons from time to time, plus free shipping offers almost all the time. They well apply the discount codes on top of sale prices. I think my brass 51 navy .44 was right at $120 shipped.

Doc Hoy

Yup!

MadCrateBuilder,

20% off!? Coupon?! I'm on it. My next move is to get signed up.

Just bought the Griswold and Gunnison in .44 (Thanks to Mykeal for the correction) which Cabela's calls a round barreled 1851 Navy for 154.00 plus five bucks for shipping.

It is also brass but I don't intend to shoot it that much. I bought it because I didn't have one. Now I have come up with a second G&G from Navy Arms.

BTW, I have done a little looking around and the only references I can find report that both Griswold and Gunnison and Leech and Rigdon made these pistols in .36 caliber. DGW appears to only sell them in .36 caliber. Yet they are available in .44 (praise the lord).

Is there a historical prototype for these revolvers in .44?

Last edited:

Hawg

Is there a historical prototype for these revolvers in .44?

Don't think so. The South was hard up for raw materials so they cut corners wherever they could. Most of the guns had brass frames and .36's used less lead and powder

Smokin_Gun

The Closest .44 was the Dance Brothers, steel frame .44 & .36 I'm told. There's nothin' that say's the CSA Din't make any .44 Brass framed 1851 Navys :O)

JohnMoberly

Pick one up cheap used

I just picked up two 1858 Brass Frame Remington Revolvers for 85 bucks a piece on Gunbrokers and Gunsamerica...might wanna check these sites