1849 pocket

vostracker

I'm looking at the 1849 pocket pistol with the conversion cylinder for 32S&W short. Would there be a way to use 32 auto ammo without too much modification? Would the .32 auto be too stout? Keep your powder dry, Amigo's

Tom2

The thought of shooting auto rounds in a 49 just strikes me odd, workable or not. Sorta like shooting a plastic saboted spitzer from a flintlock. At least with revolver ammo I can sort of swallow it, even though it is modern centerfire revolver ammo.

Hawg

No the 32 S&W is a rimmed cartridge and the auto is a rimless. You might get somebody to make half moon clips for them but i really don't see the point with a .32.

vostracker

Thomme: Sorry about that. I recieved the answer on another forum on cascity.com. Basically the .32 auto is smaller in diameter than a .32 S&W short.

SigP6Carry

ok, that's good info to have on the forum, in case another user has the same question and searches. Thanks for the info.

Erich

@ Hawg: Actually, the .32 ACP is semi-rimmed. I've worked on a murder case in which some were used in a .32 Long revolver and had no headspacing issues. I can see the diameter problem (.308" vs. .312"), though, but what would concern me the most is that the pressures in the 7.65x17 run higher than those in the .32 Short (I don't have my reference books here - this last bit is strictly from memory).

noelf2

Hawg: Actually, the .32 ACP is semi-rimmed.

+1 32acp is semi-rimmed. I can shoot them quite reliably in my H&R 732 chambered for 32s&w long, but I wouldn't attempt it in a gun chambered for 32s&w only.

I can see the diameter problem (.308" vs. .312")

-1 Neither are .308, 32acp is .312 and .32 sw and swl are both .313 to .315 (but I have loaded as low as .312). 32acp in my 32swl is a bit under diameter and the accuracy is crap.

James K

Member In Memoriam
.32 ACP runs about 20,500 psi, the .32 S&W (Short) about 13,000, so I do not recommend using .32 ACP in older revolvers chambered for the .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long, even though it will fire and extract.

The case diameters of the two cartridges are the same.

Jim

noelf2

Since 32sw ammo/brass is hard to find, you could fill up some .32acp cases with 3f and mash a round ball on top (if you can crimp it in place) and you'd have some cheap low pressure ammo for it. Crimp would be a must, and I'd be sure to check that the ball actually left the barrel on each shot from the first cylinder full. Not sure you get into reloading though. Just a thought.

batjka

7.65 case is 2mm longer than S&W short (17mm vs. 15mm). OAL of 7.65 is 25mm vs 23mm for S&W. So, will it even fit in the cylinder?

The conversion cylinder is made with modern steel and might be able to handle the pressures. It would actually be great if conversion cylinders were sold chambered in .32 ACP.