180 grain winchester soft point question

Dano4734

Will it work for moose in my 3006. My weatherby seems to love them as I just cut the bullseye out at 200 yards.. However I never hunted moose before

Dano4734

Oh it's the only round I tried so far as it's a new gun and that ammo was all I could findin town rright now

At reasonable close distances 200 yards or less 180 gr 06 is very capable. Having a few extra cartridges clipped up may come in handy. As you never know?

But if your one of this fellows who are overly concerned about stalking to close too such BIG prey_ and prefer to shoot from a safe safe location to distances 7-800 or more yards away? ~~~Your under gun'ed having a 06 for that purpose.

I sometimes promote we big game hunters should go to a zoo so to get a gander at the size of animals we intend to harvest one day. Bull Moose is one large beast. And one of the quickest charging animals in the bush I ever encountered during its rut. "One time only hunting was enough for me."

44 AMP

Staff
Bull Moose IS a big beast. But, they aren't Cape Buffalo.

In Scandinavia, they regularly hunt moose with the 6.5x55 Swede.

They also require hunters to pass a shooting skill test, which in at least one place includes a "running moose" moving target. Hunters must pass or they don't get issued a license.

Regular 180gr .30-06 will take any moose you find, IF the shooter does their part correctly. Same for dozens of other calibers.

Moose are big tough animals but they aren't armor plated.

HiBC

First,I've never shot anything bigger than an elk.

But over the course of several decades,I've never heard our Canadian brothers claim a .303 British inadequate for moose,and the 30-40 Krag has an honorable reputation on Moose.

A lot of those cartridges used older ,simple cup and core bullets. We have better today.
I can't say for sure,but it might be the 2400 fps or so vel did not cause over expansion and decreased penetration.

I have no doubt the 30-06 with a180 gr bullet is adequate,but not all 180 gr bullets offer the same expansion/penetration.

I would not choose a very "hard bullet,and I would not choose a soft,loose bullet.

Of course,there are other great bullets,but IMO,a Nosler Partition or Accubond are decent choices. I would have confidence in either,

20 more grains of lead will not make an earthshaking difference. That is 1/2 of the old standard 22 LR slug. That said,both theAccubond and the Partition areavailable in a 200 gr version.

Last edited:

shootbrownelk

For a large animal, Moose are pretty easily killed with proper shot placement. Plenty of .270 Winchesters used out here with success.

Jack O'Conner

Back in the 1970's my brother-in-law was a teen headed for his very first hunt with his uncle. Their quest was moose in Ontario. The uncle told him to buy either a 30-06 or a 44 Magnum rifle. No mention of other calibers that would be suitable. So my brother-in-law goes to a gun shop where the clerk told him that a 30-06 was only good for moose but a 44 Magnum would be fine for deer, too. So he bought a new Ruger carbine and proceeded to hunt moose with his uncle. The first year he didn't see any moose but the second and third year he shot bull moose. Distances were less than 100 yards in timber country. Moral of the story: a careful shot can kill just about any animal with a 44 Magnum carbine within reasonable range.

I've only killed one moose so I'm no expert. But I hunted with a .308 and 180 grain core-lokt ammo. The bull was toppled with two quick chest shots. They're not armor plated at all. Winchester Power Points are excellent bullets.

Jack

Dano4734

I am thinking of federal 180 grain I think they are accubond as my next go around but I just noticed I have a ring problem. My weatherby is dead on at 200 but I maxed the elevation. I have millet rings I believe. Any ideas on what I should go to as that is not right

jmr40

That is what those bullets are made for. Back years ago life was much simpler. Prior to the late 1940's all bullets were pretty much alike. Lighter 150 gr 30-06 bullets were designed for deer size game, heavier bullets 180 gr and up for larger stuff with 165's as a compromise. As long as you stick with calibers and bullet weights designed for the game hunted they work fine, at least at "normal" ranges.

But starting with the Nosler Partition the market is now flooded with very good premium bullets. But things often get confusing and many hunters still don't truly understand their advantages. Often a lighter premium bullet even in a smaller caliber will be more effective.

The primary advantage the Accubonds offer is better BC's. Lots of folks think that only means flatter trajectory. It does, by a small amount. The primary reason is better retained speed and energy at impact. Depending on the exact load a 30-06 with modern high BC bullets will impact with greater speed and energy than a bullet with poor BC's fired from a 300 magnum. The 300 may well have 200-300 fps more speed at the muzzle, but the 30-06 can catch up in as little as 100 yards depending on the bullets used.

The cheaper bullet will work fine at "normal" ranges. The Accubond will be a better option as range increases.

My weatherby is dead on at 200 but I maxed the elevation. I have millet rings I believe. Any ideas on what I should go to as that is not right

Yea, that ain't right. I suspect a mount problem. The bases or rings may be mounted incorrectly is my 1st guess. But it could be several things including a bad scope.

Dano4734

Just talked to the gunsmith, he said I need some high mount offeset rings for the Redfield as it has a Leopold mount Leopold high mount rings will fix it

Mobuck

"At reasonable close distances 200 yards or less 180 gr 06 is very capable."
"It amazes me some people question the validity of a 180. Grain c&c bullet out of a 30-06 for moose."

Considering the differences in construction, jacket material, and lead composition of available "C&C" 180 grain .308 caliber bullets, I find it amazing that a "blanket statement" of such bullets' usefulness is being projected(sort of like vomit, actually). There are so many choices that simply saying any/all are suitable is far too general.
The OP asked about a specific bullet. Personal observations indicate that specific bullet uses a soft core and thin jacket. It is suitable for light to medium game but (IMHO) is NOT a good choice for moose under general use conditions.

zipspyder

The OP asked about a specific bullet. Personal observations indicate that specific bullet uses a soft core and thin jacket. It is suitable for light to medium game but (IMHO) is NOT a good choice for moose under general use conditions.

That's funny because just like I stated that specific bullet has been killing moose for decades. Even Winchester lists it is good for moose. I wonder how people ever shot game with those crappy cup-n-core bullets before the invention of the new super bullets? Not trying to argue the validity of newer bullets but if that's what he has and doesn't want to purchase any other ammo then it is perfectly acceptable.

Last edited:

Dano4734

I only ask because I hit whatever I shoot at. Also they can be purchased anywhere from a gas station or family grocery store. That appeals to me as now I have to drive 30 miles for any better ammo in my small town.