180 grain loads on deer

Dogger

I realize that most hunters do no recommend using a 180 grain 30-06 load on deer. But... if you wanted to (and I want to), which bullet do you recommend? I want to be able to pick a shoulder shot or a heart/lung shot depending on the circumstances. I want to minimize meat damage. Thanks.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The 180-grain is great for longer ranges (over 200/300 yards or so) and for larger deer. If you just gotta, you just gotta, I guess. :)

I have had very good results in my '06 for accuracy at 500 yards with the 180-grain Sierra SPBT, and at 100 yards as well.

Overall, I have the attitude that if you're a good enough shot to put it where you want it, you're not gonna ruin much meat, anyway. (Although on one smallish buck I shot with my '06, the bullet did indeed blow his neck apart, as intended. Trouble was, the way he was standing in the brush, the bullet's path continued right on through the middle of a ham. Yuck.)

FWIW,

Art

Son of the Gael

Dogger, I've used 180's in my .308 for the last 3 years, that's not quite the same as your '06, but then not very different either. No luck last year but got one-shot kills on whitetails in both '98 & '99. One was a 75 yard buck with the old Remington Extended Range 178 gr, the other was closer & taken with a 180 Nosler Protected Point & Varget. Neither bullet expanded as much as the lighter bullets would, but both exited and neither deer went anywhere at all. I'll probalbly stick with the 180 Nosler because it's quite accurate in this rifle & with it I can shoot anything I'll ever hunt here in Oklahoma-pig, whitetail, coyote or elk. I like the idea of keeping it simple with one load per gun. Take it for what it's worth.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
It will kill them and actually cause less meat damage than would a way faster lighter bullet. For broadside shots through the heart/lungs, there will be about a 3" diameter section of two ribs or so you can't use.

That Sierra 180 Gameking is my only .30-06 load anymore (well, playing with a 165) &'ll do 'em as far out as you have any business shooting at 'em. I would think that a good 180 would shoot right through lengthwise even a goodly size muley out to 300+ ... I know it's hell on elk.

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
sierra 180 game king if you reload or if you don't a remington 180 core-lokt. Don't use the bronze points they literally explode in game and you can waste a good deal of meat without a perfect shot. You want a 180 to stay intact and unformly mushroom. On a small deer a 180 may not expand if you keep velocity near factory specs (I've seen a 165 zip right trough an antelope with no expansion once). Its really all about shot placement.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
A lot of the men I hunt with used to use 180 grain round nose factory loads in either the 30-06 or the .308 and they did well on medium to large sized whitetail(140 to 250 pound), but there was a strange thing about them. They mushroomed nicely but very seldom exited, even with a sideways lung shot. They usually could be found under the hide on the off side. A 150 grainer or a pointed 180 grain almost always exited no matter what angle it hit at. Oh, by the way, the reason a lot used those particular rounds was they worked at Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola and the state used both .308 and 30-06 180 grain round nose for the guards. :D :D

Dogger

Thanks for the replies.

You gentlemen bracketed my intentions exactly:
I do want to find one accurate load and stick with it in the 30-06. Seems to me I lose the advantages of the 30-06 by going to lighter bullets that are currently covered by my 7mm Mauser. Hence my choice of the 180 grain. Glad to hear that folks have good success with it on deer. I actually think that the slower velocity of the 180, compared to say a 150, probably contributes to less meat damage, don't you think?

A buddy of mine has hooked me up with a rock chucker press and the basic reloading essentials, so I am going to start cooking my own recipes. :)

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Dogger, IMO the difference is more in the bullet design than anything else. The 180s, intended for larger animals with thicker skin and heavier bones, have slightly thicker jackets--this limits expansion in smaller animals.

FWIW, Art

Michael Priddy

180 gr round nose

Dogger, 180gr. Sierra round nose/55grs. of IMR4350 gives me sub MOA and 2835ft/sec in a 26" Shilen barrel on a mauser 98 action. Since most of my shots are within 150yds., it is my main hunting round. I like the round nose bullets for close range hunting. They shed vel. too fast for anything over 200yds. MHO...Michael

Dogger

Thanks, as i am just getting into reloading, I am in a bit of a conundrum... which powder to buy that works well in both the 30-06 with 180 grain loads and the 7x57mm Mauser with 140/150 grain loads???????

My local gun shop is recommending IMR4064... and the Speer reloading manual.

I am trying to keep the expenses down as I begin this reloading thing.

IMR4350 seems to be THE powder for the 30-06 from the limited web browsing I have done.

I appreciate any help...

Doug 29

The 180 gr. Sierra "Gameking" and 55 grs. of 4350 is the best recipe a .30-06 can be fed! Accurate and deadly!

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The '06 is pretty unconcerned about what you feed it. Doug 29 has done well with 4350; I've done well with 4064. For your particular "for instance", you might let the 7mm make the decision.

I might buy the Speer book, but I'd sure browse through the Hornady, Hodgdon and Sierra books, as well. There is one publisher which has taken loads from ALL data sources, in a series, "One Book, One Cartridge" (or vice versa). Problem is, I'm in Georgia and the book is at my Texas playpen. It might show up on a Search, here; I've posted on it before.

FWIW, Art