18" AR barrels?

dvdcrr

Now that prices are coming back down I have been wanting to do a 18" build for a go-to all around outfit. in 5.56. I am thinking about a 18" recon (fairly light) contour midlength gas 1/8 twist. Where should a person look for barrels like that?

HJ857

Two options that I think are worth looking at.

1) White Oak Armament. Barrel options there that suit your criteria. Wait times can be long though.

2) The White Oak SPR was my first choice except the wait time was more than I was interested in. Also, the final cost of building an upper turned out to be close enough to the cost of a built Stag 3G upper that I just went with the Stag from Legal Transfers which is easy to find at ar15.com. I didn't like the oem muzzle brake and swapped it for a FSC 556, but otherwise it's been a rock solid upper.

dvdcrr

Yeah people say that but I want light weight and I mean it. 9" tubes are lighter than 12" tubes.

dvdcrr

I may have to go rifle length anyway if all I can get is a 20" pencil. I already have a 20" gov and thats heavy all decked out with scope and yhm tube

Mobuck

I don't see any reason that an 18" "requires" a rifle length gas system. Actually same relationship with a midlength/18" as with a carbine/16" set up. My 18"/midlength has a very smooth function and a balanced look to it.

Fishbed77

I don't see any reason that an 18" "requires" a rifle length gas system. Actually same relationship with a midlength/18" as with a carbine/16" set up. My 18"/midlength has a very smooth function and a balanced look to it.

The "intermediate" length gas system has been introduced as an "optimal" system for 18" barrels.

Personally, though, I think much of the fuss over gas system length is a little overblown. My 18" Rainier SPR barrel uses rifle-length (as do actual Mk. 12 SPRs in service). Honestly, a mid-length would probably work just as well, and give you a few more options with regards to forearm length to cover the gas block.

Likewise, I see all the hype about midlength systems over carbine length for 16" barrels. While I don't doubt there is some incremental improvement, my 16" carbines have all work just fine.

Ibmikey

Rainier is the place to go for barrels of excellent quality. As for mid vs carbine gas I have several of both and cannot tell the difference with cycling but the 16" & 18" barrel looks like the mid was designed just for it. Put a free float 15" rail on it and who is to know? The biggest factor today that will guide your selection is "in stock".

MarkCO

I think the best 18" barrel is the Nordic. Feel free to send me a PM if you want to know more about them.

marine6680

Unless you just want stainless for aesthetic reasons, you could look into Nitrided barrels as well. No chrome lining to affect accuracy, but with all the corrosion and extended life of the CL barrel.

I prefer mid length gas systems myself. With a H buffer, it feels softer than a carbine with a H2 to me.