17hm2 compared to 22lr price

I used to use my Remington 597 as my go to gun for small game and varmints, but recently I have gotten a 17hmr, and have fallen head over heels for it, I love the little gun.
I hear about the ammo price being the big factor in why it isn't so popular, but I find with the 17 each time I pull the trigger I know the bullet is going to hit its mark, and at much longer range than my 22lr.

Which got me thinking about 17hm2.
I never thought I would be interested at all in the round until I got my 17hmr.
Where I live 17hmr about cost about $26 for a box of 50 rounds, I can get bulk 22lr for about $5 a box which is a pretty cheap, but for some decent CCI stingers or something half decent its about $12 for 50.
Now 17hm2 is about $15 for 50.

Is there a much higher gap between 22lr and 17hm2 in the US or is it about the same?
Because for me with our prices here the 17hm2 doesn't look too bad at all.
Not for plinking obviously, but for shooting games it looks like a winner.

TriumphGuy

Around here, .22lr is about $18 for 500 rounds. Compared to $15 for 50 rounds, that's a pretty big gap.

EDIT: That said, we pay about the same as you do for 50 rounds of either flavor of .17 rimfire.

alex0535

You get a little more range out of the .17 HM2 than 22LR, it is a faster moving bullet with less drop over a given distance.

I am also a big fan of the .17 HMR for the same reasons you are, the bullets go exactly where they should be and I would pay 3 dollars more per 50 for 17HM2 than CCI stingers. HMR makes some very traumatic wounds with v-max, but I use it on varmnits and it knocks squirrels out of trees from a long way off. I would prefer HM2 for taking game i intend to eat.

You also have less selection of ammo with 17 HM2, but if it is available to you then its not as much of a concern.

Scorch

I find the higher end 22LR ammo is about $3-$5 a box of 50, so it is still quite a bit cheaper than the 17 HM2. But as said, for hunting small game it sounds ideal. I am looking into one as well, having just recently become a fan of the 17HMR

Mobuck

I don't use my 17M2 much but it has a purpose for me. It's much safer to use when shooting varmints around/inside structures than a 22. Coon, possums, and groundhogs are the primary recipients of the 17M2 bullets. I bought what will probably be a lifetime supply of 17M2 asmmo when it was around $4/50. Unless I take it prairie dog shooting sometime, I expect 4000 rounds to be all I need.
Current cost(of 17M2) is in the $6-7/50 range-more than double the per box over the counter cost of good quality 22lr. The last Federal 22HP I bought cost around $180/case of 5250 rounds. Compared to 17HMR at a sale price of $10-11/50(regular price $12-15/50) and within it's useable range, the M2 is worthwhile. Better chance of a one shot kill on the tougher varmints than a 22lr with little chance of a pass through or ricochet and 30% cheaper than the HMR.