$17

For SnapCaps?:eek::barf:

Why the #@%& does four or five rounds of dummy ammo cost more than a box of real ammo. I could buy two boxes of Blazer Brass at Walmart for that (assuming I could find any). What gives? I just wanna be careful dry firing my G19.

verb1

I saw some yesterday for over $20. I was expecting to find some cheap, plastic ones for $5. Nope.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Depends on the snap caps; those ones with the spring inside do cost a lot, the plastic kind are cheap. FWIW, I don't see a problem dry snapping that gun, but when I want a snap cap, I just use an empty case and replace the dead primer with a nylon plug. I cut the rim away so I can cock the gun without extracting the snap cap.

Jim

ballardw

$17
For SnapCaps?

Why the #@%& does four or five rounds of dummy ammo cost more than a box of real ammo. I could buy two boxes of Blazer Brass at Walmart for that (assuming I could find any). What gives? I just wanna be careful dry firing my G19.

Volume of sales.

After you buy 5 or 6 for a caliber how many more do you need?

Shadi Khalil

I paid $12 for a box of five not to long ago. A-zooms (non spring) last a long time. I actually have the first snap cap that was given to me maybe 6 years ago. All the red has worn off but the rubber primer is still there.

warnerwh

I've heard of people putting an eraser in the primer pocket or just filling it up with silicone. Either way it would work. I don't know how many centerfire guns can't deal with dry firing without damage but I'd check and see if that gun will take it without caps. I know Ruger states it's ok in the manual.

troy_mclure

i did the silicone plug for my t/c encore in .204 ruger. it wasted an expensive brass, but its great for trigger pull practice.

B.N.Real

Don't buy the cheap ones if you can get the good ones.

I had a gun that ate the cheap plastic ones like they were candy.

Since it's a Glock that I'm dry firing, the snapcaps were really just an err on the side of caution. I've heard both that you can dry fire a Glock all day long, and also that "excessive" dry firing can eventually damage the striker pin. If excessive means for hours at a time every day, then I'm fine at four or five dry fires a day. If I wasn't broker than dirt, I'd spend the $$ just to be 100% safe, but alas...

Singlesix1954

Your Glock is dependable. Dry fire is a good exersize in training your musel memory to the actual trigger pull of that gun. You should use quality snap caps to do this alot. For the exersize to work you need to do it 50 or more times a day. You are training you finger to do a repeditive task with a specific pressure and travel that includes your entire hand. This much dry fire will reac havoc on even Glock springs. Zoom caps will hold up well and would be my chioce. Cheaper "plastic" or homemade remidies are great for reassembly or repair testing, but not realy made for accuracy training. There are other Quality training snap caps than zoom but are priced about the same. In the end "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" so buy what you need. Note if you train yourself this way then rember to practice constant finger trigger contact letoff.