.17 cleaning rod

Opinated

The nearest Dick's has just one rod for rifles, the Hoppe's 3PU. Says on the package is for all calibers, but the smallest listed is .22. The rod looks slender. Will that rod work for the .17 with the proper brush? On the same rack is a Hoppe's brush for .17.
My other rod was purchased new in the 1950's and is almost tight in a .22.

NESHOOTER

I also have the Dewey but unlike the claim my nylon has scraped off and now it hangs on the rack, the Tipton is solid and flex's when it should and no worry on ever peeling.... ymmv

JohnKSa

Administrator
I've had very poor luck with "department store" cleaning kits and cleaning rods. They bend instead of flex, break easily and are generally a pain to use. It's even worse with a very thin rod.

I've had good luck with Dewey's products, but I'm sure there are others that will work as well.

emcon5

I also have the Dewey but unlike the claim my nylon has scraped off and now it hangs on the rack, the Tipton is solid and flex's when it should and no worry on ever peeling

Interesting, I have three Dewey rods (.17, .22, .30), have used them regularly since the mid 1990s. The nylon is holding up just fine.

Jerry45

I have a Marlin 45-70 lever gun. I once cleaned it from the muzzle and scraped a couple of slivers of plastic off my Dewey. Not all the way to the metal just off the surface. I ran my finger across the muzzle and found the rifling was "sharp". I've never lost any plastic cleaning any of my rifles from the breach.

gpjoe

I don't think the .17 brush will work on the .22 rod. None of my .17 brushes, jags or patch holders fit any of my .22 rods. The threads are smaller on the .17 rod and accessories.

I use a .17 Pro-Shot one-piece rod from the breech of my Savage 93R17 if I think it needs a brushing. Otherwise I just run patches from the muzzle using a piece of weed-whacker line.