168gr SMK: PWNED >.<

WWWJD

Went to the range tonight with a fresh batch of my "accuracy" load. These came out of a fresh lb of Varget and a new box of 168 Sierra Match Kings. I also tried a couple of different seating depths. I was very pleased with what happened with my first five shot group:

168gr SMK over 43.2gr Varget, 210M primers, 2.825" OAL. Twice fired Federal Brass, put together with a Lee Collet die, and Redding Seater.
168SMK%2520H_V%2520F210M%25202.825%2522%25200.292moa.jpg

WOOT!!

Following groups with the seating depths creeping out, just started to open up. Rifle definitely likes the jump. Next time out I'm going to see what happens with using the new Forster bushing die, and creep the seating depths back the other direction (and try to crank the scope 1 click left). Got a box of 175gr to play with sometime soon too.

I'm still looking at the photo over and over again... felt pretty good to see that little black blob forming up through the rifle scope. Thanks guys, for being such a valuable resource. If you'd told me last year I'd be shooting like this, I'd have called you a liar. This is all your alls fault. :p

IMAGE_CBA70C0D-F520-4A7A-8B96-3BC0B3594F4C.JPG

HiBC

Congratulations.That is some results!!

Way,long time ago,I helped brother find a load for his AR-10T

We loaded up a bunch of combinations.Acyually,our best performer in powder was can of RE-12 I had,but then found it was discontinued.Varget was next.

After we did all that work,Handloader mag came out with an article on an accurate .308 load.They chose Varget,but then worked with different bullets,brass,primers,etc.Informative.

Looks like you are doing very well,give yourself credit.

stu925

I presume it's a 7mm, I've had excellent results with 168gr Sierra MatchKings in my .280Rem. So much so that I stopped load testing after using them. That's some spectacular shooting, you should be proud of that.

Stu

223 shooter

Most would be thrilled to get that at 100yds , at 200 that is impressive shooting indeed! Wow! Is that a 700 you are shooting?

WWWJD

It's a 700 SPS Tactical. I love the form factor of the 20". I've added a HS Precision stock and a Jewell trigger. Glass is a Viper PST 4-16 first focal. Hand loads by far were the biggest game changer though. I'll never be satisfied with the factory stuff again. :)

223 shooter

I love the form factor of the 20".

Yeah I have a 20" 700 LTR in .223 and also added the Jewell trigger. If I go with a .308 again I'll definitely get the SPS Tactical! I have a HS stock that I use on it.