160 grn. FTX/ M336/ 30-30

reinert

Hello forum folks,

I've got a nice old M336, 30-30 (made in 1960) coming sometime next week, and would like to try the Hornady 160 grn. FTXs in some handloads. Anyone have a good load using the FTX bullet? Preferred powder? Any other load/bullet/powder favorite 30-30 recipes would be appreciated.

Along with the Hornady FTXs I just got, I also have on hand some 150 grn. Speer Flat S.P. bullets. At the moment, my possibles for 30-30 powder on hand is IMR 3031, H335, W748 and Varget. I use all of these powders in my .223, and it looks like some of them should work well in the 30-30; a good thing.

Can't wait to shoot the ol' vintage Marlin (20" micro-groove barrel). Any recipes for a 336 in 30-30 will be much appreciated.

Thanks

T. O'Heir

You have to work up the load for your rifle. No 2 rifles will shoot the same ammo the same way. And the point of reloading is to tailor the ammo to the rifle. I'd be thinking Varget for either bullet weight though. Slightly higher velocities.

reinert

Affirm on the working up a load. I get that. My son has a pre-64, M94 that we did some reloads on, and we came up with a good, accurate recipe that he still uses, and with those same 150 grn. Speers I mentioned in the O.P. I know I'll try it in the new/old Marlin, too. It was always easy to remember the load for my son's '94:

"30 grains of 3031 in the 30-30." And that was IMR powder, of course.

We made a goodly amount of ammo with that recipe for his rifle, and he shot his first deer with it back in '97. I also understand that the M94 has a 1:12 r.o.t., and the Marlin has a 1:10. Mostly, just wondering about that 160 grn. FTX bullet in the Marlin. Would the heavier bullet with the Marlin r.o.t. be a better starting bet for a load?

ShootistPRS

For published load data the on-line Hodgdon reload data lists 15 loads for the FTX 160 grain bullet in 30-30. That would be a good place to start.

Bayou

I've used the load data published on the container of the Hogdgon LeverEvolution powder:

35.5 grains pushing the 160 grain FTX in 30-30.

Very accurate and a proven deerslayer. Also, this powder meters like water.

reinert

Thanks Bayou, I've done just a little bit of shooting at 50 yds. with my "new" old Marlin since I got it last week. So far, with the 160 grn. FTX bullet, I shot a five shot group @ 50 yds. that printed just under an inch. I believe the rifle shows promise. I used 31 grains of W748 under the 160 grn. FTX for that group, and have loaded up some more rounds with that loading I hope to try this week. Hope to do some 100 yd. work with it, too, while at the range.

The rifle performed flawlessly during cycling rounds through the action, firing, and ejecting the spent casings. There were no signs of any issues with the spent cases, either. This load is very easy on the shoulder, too; a good thing. According to the loading data, MV is probably near 2100. It's really a fun gun to shoot. The rifle came with a Weaver K6 scope, and the optic clarity is a fine thing.

I used Fed. 210 L.R. primers with the load, trimmed the cases @ 2.030" and crimped fairly well on the FTX's crimp groove.

So far, so good.

Bayou

Excellent shooting results, reinert!

You've got a good shooter, for sure.

If you're looking to increase your MV, that LeverEvolution powder @ 35.5 grains pushing the 160 grain FTX will produce 2,389 FPS per the published data on the Hogdgon powder container and on its reloading data website:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Just FYI...

Bayou

Rifletom

"So far, so good". I'd say. Great rifle and optics. Good load combo, also. With those 150gr Speer FN, 748 is a very good powder, as is RL#15, if you have any. You should see what a 170gr Hornady FN does to Ca. coastal pig with a healthy[but safe!] dose of 748. You're certainly on the right track.

reinert

100 yd. work with the 336

Got to try the "new" old 336 this morning @ 100yds. Loaded up 15 rounds yesterday with the load I mentioned earlier using the 160 grn. Hornady FTX. My first 5 shot group measured, center to center of the farthest two shots, right at 1 and a half inches. I was quite pleased with that. Since the group printed about an inch and a half right of center, I clicked 3 left on the K6, and shot my next group, which was 10 shots.

My first shot was high and near 3 inches RIGHT of my first group. "Can't be," I thought. Checked my setting and it was properly set to the left as I wanted it to be. So, I clicked 3 back to the original setting as my first group was and commenced my shooting. The group was right back 1 and a half inches right of center on the bull, so I shot my next 9 shots. Those 9 shots measured, center to center from the two farthest in the group, right at 1 and three quarters of an inch, with seven of the nine well under an inch. Needless to say, I am plum tickled with this great old 30-30. I'm not sure what the deal is with the scope, but I'll get that ironed out as I move along with my shooting sessions.

All my shooting so far has been on the bench at our local range, but just using my hunting day pack for a rest. Again, I'm just clam-happy at how this rifle fits me, and shoots. The load I mentioned earlier is one I could shoot all day long without any problem, and should be plenty adequate for deer hunting out to 150 yds.

reinert

Thanks Bayou. I will try that Hodgdon LVR powder you mentioned earlier at some point down the trail. I also have a good supply of Varget on hand to give a whirl on; I've seen good reports on that powder for the 30-30, too. Haven't shot a 30-30 in many years (my youngest son's M94). Forgot how much fun they are!