16 Year Old Working In A Gun Shop?

GunXpatriot

I've always been really interested in firearms and I'm pretty knowledgeable about them. I was thinking of getting a job recently, so I was wondering if I'd try to get a job at a gun shop. I don't believe there is any age that you have to be to work in one. I remember reading a forum post where the guy said he never hired anyone under 21 because they were immature and didn't know all that much. If you have a gun shop or outdoors based shop, would you hire a fairly mature 16 year old if they had expertise? Thanks :)

BarryLee

I am not sure if Federal Laws require you to be a certain age to complete a firearms transaction or not. However, I know many private insurance companies will have age limits for employees. I worked for a computer company while in college and since I was not yet 18 there were some task I was not allowed to do.

Stressfire

IIRC you may be able to do so provided that you have written parental consent

From the Youth Handgun Safety Act insert in my most recent pistol purchase:

18 U.S.C. 922(x)
(3) This subsection does not apply to--...

(ii) with the prior written consent of the
juvenile’s parent or guardian who is not
prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from
possessing a firearm, except--...

(not legal advice, just a copy and paste) from pdf linked below

Attachments

• atf-i-5300-2.pdf
    69.9 KB · Views: 64

carguychris

Federal law is mostly silent on this issue. Other than the parental consent issue mentioned by Stressfire, the main zingers will probably be state laws prohibiting an adult from making a firearm or handgun available to a minor, and/or prohibiting possession by a minor outside of the immediate presence of his or her parents. Some states passed very broadly worded laws regarding these situations in the aftermath of Columbine.

I'm not familiar with NY state law in this regard.

Last edited:

tekarra

A while ago there was a young girl working in my LGS. She was not old enough to own a pistol but she did just about everything in the shop. Don't know if she could do firearms sales paperwork though. She was knowledgeable, polite and pleasant. Age does not necessarily bring those traits to a person.

Paul K

I worked at a gun store when I was 16 or 17. It was legal. I just couldn't do the dealer side of the 4473 and call it in.

Most fun job I ever had. I really enjoyed it.

arcticap

GunXpatriot said:
If you have a gun shop or outdoors based shop, would you hire a fairly mature 16 year old if they had expertise?

Please don't take this the wrong way but since you asked the answer would most likely be "No, probably not".
Maybe if you were a family member or had expertise/experience that enabled you to do necessary tasks, and if I didn't have any hope of finding someone more suitable to perform them. However I simply can't imagine what tasks those would be with the limited info. that you provided. Why spend time training someone to perform certain tasks when they're probably going back to school in the fall and won't be available to work most of the time? Generally I think that employers try to find the most qualified people to fill positions, and who are the most compatible fit for their business and needs.
It doesn't really matter what I think anyway. If you go and apply at various places and those in charge think that you're the best candidate for the job, then they will hire you no matter what I think.
At this stage of your life you want to apply where they might need you the most, and not necessarily at the place where you would rather be hired at.
Where do you think that your talents are needed the most?
Don't give up on your desires too easily and good luck! :)

Last edited:

Buzzcook

Start putting in apps. Uncle Sam doesn't mind you working in retail sales.

Oh start learning to say brand X is crap, what you really need is brand Y.

Don P

My concern would be maturity of the OP. Remembering back that far hurts BUT, I remember at times having my moments of immaturity.
Not knocking the OP because of not knowing him, I just think the age is leaving something to be desired and not instilled yet due to age and life experience's not yet encountered.
Just my opinion and no disrespect intended to the OP

lray

state law in NC prohibits anyone under 18 from working at a place that sells guns. i tried to get a job at Dick's sporting goods when i was 17 and couldn't because of this. i would imagine other states have similar laws.

hootey

Won't know til you go ask about employment at a sporting goods/gunstore. I really don't care about someones age or sex when I am shopping. I do care about someone attempting to BS me into buying something. Be honest & upfront with people, always try to be positive. People will go out of their way to frequent stores with honest & friendly salepeople. The same people will avoid a local store that is staffed by jerks. Good luck on your journey..:cool:

bailey bud

larger organizations (Cabela's, Dick's, Sportsman's, etc) would be unlikely to allow you to work the firearms sales desk.

I was just at Cabela's a couple of weeks ago, and they were not even allowed to hand a firearm (youth model) to my son for insurance reasons.

Even at the used gun rack - the guy working the floor asked me to be the first person to touch any firearm we were interested in. (those guns had ties and trigger locks!)

Big stores become big liability targets - so their insurance companies and lawyers get caught up in a lot of rules.

Gunnut17

Today my dad asked the same question,(On my behalf) a guy that worked in the gun shop said you have to be 21 to work there.

Then again, I live in NM, could be different where you are.

Discern

I suggest checking with the Department of Labor and Sates Attorney of your state of residency and county/municipality. They should be able to tell you the current laws for your area.

Some 16 year olds are more mature and experienced with firearms and equipment than some adults. Dad taught my brother and I to be responsible with firearms and everything else. He taught us to evaluate the situation and do what was the safe. Experience - started driving farm equipment with dad when I was 6 - worked with him and beside him for years. Started shooting with dad about 7. Hunted and trapped with my dad and older brother. There was more than one occasion growing up when I was in a firearm store and a customer asked if I could assist them (thought I worked there).

Maturity, experience, attitude and knowledge should be the major factors - not age. Age is not always an indicator of maturity or experience. I will take any responsible 16 year old the father trusts to be around heavy equipment and firearms to a 21 year old who has little to no experience as long as the laws are being followed. Like I said, we worked, shot and hunted with and beside dad for years. He did not worry about use doing something stupid. He was concerned about some other adults and their kids doing something stupid.

brickeyee

Maturity, experience, attitude and knowledge should be the major factors - not age.

Take it up with your legislators then.

We do not tailor laws to the capability of every person since it would be incredibly unwieldy.

Don P

Some 16 year olds are more mature and experienced with firearms and equipment than some adults. Dad taught my brother and I to be responsible with firearms and everything else. He taught us to evaluate the situation and do what was the safe. Experience - started driving farm equipment with dad when I was 6 - worked with him and beside him for years. Started shooting with dad about 7. Hunted and trapped with my dad and older brother. There was more than one occasion growing up when I was in a firearm store and a customer asked if I could assist them (thought I worked there).

Maturity, experience, attitude and knowledge should be the major factors - not age. Age is not always an indicator of maturity or experience. I will take any responsible 16 year old the father trusts to be around heavy equipment and firearms to a 21 year old who has little to no experience as long as the laws are being followed. Like I said, we worked, shot and hunted with and beside dad for years. He did not worry about use doing something stupid. He was concerned about some other adults and their kids doing something stupid.

Seems to me that your statement and the op statement is apples and oranges in comparison. No farm equipment mentioned or heavey equipment, hunting with dad and the such

Discern

People were questioning the maturity of the OP because of his age. Age is not always in indicator of maturity which was the point of my post.