16" DPMS Dissapator AR...Pros/Cons?

Chindo18Z

Was looking at a DPMS Tactical with a "Dissapator" profile (full length handguards, 16 inch barrel, short birdcage). Aside from non-collapsible buttstock (which I would replace), pros/cons?

As I understand things, this setup uses a midlength gas system which may/may not enhance cycle of operation reliability?

16" barrel, no rails, fixed A2 sights, M16A2 buttstock...not ideal, but the price is right. I'd prolly replace the buttstock and hang an Aimpoint on a gooseneck from the carrying handle (which actually works pretty well).

Anyone shot one? Accuracy out to 300 meters? Any horror stories?

Just thinking about a general SD rifle and range plinker...

Last edited:

cheygriz

I have the Bushmaster Dissapator with collapsing stock and A.C.O.G. No reliability issues whatsoever. Every single time I press the trigger, it goes "bang." Accuracy with MilSurp ball is in the 1 1/2 inch range. Haven't tried match ammo.

FS2K

The Dissy

GOOD set-up that is often overlooked because of its appearence.

I doubt the reliability of a Dissy is better than yer regular Carbine, but the set up offers a longer line of sight, the longer handguards protect the operator from being burned by the parts of the barrel that's normally exposed when using carbine or mid-length handguards.

Chindo18Z

Thanks for the responses folks.

I've had no hands-on experience w/ DPMS rifles until handling this one. Fit and finish seemed comparable to Bushmasters and Colts I have fired.

Price was about $850 out-the-door compared to ~$1100-$1200 for some other makes in standard A2/A3 or M4orgery configurations.

I'd never given serious thought to the Dissapator advantages until now. The concept is beginning to grow on me...

bdcochran

Dissipator

You asked two questions that are synopsized as pro vs. con. You also stated your range and purpose.

The dissipator has the following advantages over other rifles in that design:

1. full length handguard;
2. crowned barrel if you are not permitted a muzzle break or flash suppressor;
3. full length, heavy barrel

Disavantage
1. weight

Gratuitious observations:

1. No matter what model of the AR15 system you use, if you rely upon iron sights, they will not function in low light, at night, or near darkness. The cheapest and most viable option is a see through scope mount and a Leupold 2x7 compact scope. As I said, the comment is gratitious. And yes, to the others who would chime in, I have worked with all kinds of barrels, scopes, and options like the Eotech.