147GR Bulge in 9MM Case

Steviewonder1

I just bought 1500 Gold Dot HP's 9MM 147GR bullets. I am using the Speer #14 Reloading Book (2008). Bullets mike out at .355 as listed in book. I am using Unique powder in the middle of the recommended charge. I always start with 10 loaded bullets when working with a new bullet or powder. This is my first time with 147GR bullets. The problem is after seating the bullet, there is a bulge in the case at the bottom of the bullet. The case will then not chamber check as it sticks at the bulge. Out of 10 bullets only 2 will chamber check and they have a very slight bulge. The bulge is only on about half the diameter of the case almost like the bullet was getting seated not quite in a vertical manner so it would have equal pressure on the whole case. Bullet is being seated to 1.13". The seating die has just been cleaned so there is no gunk in it. Cases are all once fired, cleaned and tumbled. Loader is Dillon SDB. I have tried to move the flaring die down a little to see if that would help but no go.

I am not new to reloading, but this is a real stumper. Any help would be appreciated.

dwhite

Sounds like your cases are out of alignment when seating your bullets. I had this issue recently with 38 Special. Make sure your shell holder is clean, your shell holder is correct for your cartridge, and your press is level.

In my case I had crap in the groove of my shell holder forcing the case to one side while seating the bullet.

All theBest,
D. White

Jim243

First off, Gold Dots are really good bullets and the spec .355 is where they should be. I don't know who's dies you are using, but it sounds as if the decaping rod has been worn down and is not resizing the cases to full specs. Pull the rod and measure for variance from factory spec (.355).

Jim

Tacoma

Hard to say without a pic but you could be hitting the lip of the case with the die before the bullet is fully seated. Try backing out the seating die then adjusting the seat depth with the secondary adjustment.

Last edited:

Steviewonder1

147GR Bulge in 9MM

Thanks for the info. Press is level and has been for 10 years. I am going after the other seating die that I have in one of my caliber change ziplocks. Press is clean all the way around as it is one of my Twins I have. Also looking to sort out Winchester Brass to see how it holds up. I am also gently pressing on the handle to do all the work. Sizing die is good. The bulge shows after the bullet seating die and before the light crimp die.

Steviewonder1

147GR Bulge in 9MM

Problem Solved! Bullet seated to 1.03 not 1.13". Found this after taking seating die out, checking it and re-installing it with new bullet at 1.13 and all was well. Measured the others and discovered 1.03 seating depth. It always pays to measure twice and press once. Lesson learned, just check a little closer.

Thanks to all!

chris in va

Well good, glad you found the issue. Good thing you didn't fire those too, mid charge of Unique with a severely short oal makes for interesting pressures.