140 grain bullet load for 6.5 Grendel

Wendyj

Does anyone have any information or an older loading manual that would have a load for 140 Nosler ballistic tips in the Grendel. All 4 of my manuals only go to 129 with exception of Lee and it’s Vita powder hard to find here. Gave up on the creedmoor and have lots of bullets left over I’d like to try. Just put a new Anderson 20 inch 8 twist barrel on it and got rid if the radical 16 inch in 9 twist. I was getting decent groups with the Radical but the 16 inch with their muzzle brake on it was blasting too close to my face. The 123 and 129 was doing good in it but would like to shoot these 140s up.

Wendyj

Been there and tried that. Not a lot use the 140. Lee manual is all I can find but N530 doesn’t exist around here. Hate to order a bunch and it be no good.

GeauxTide

Only goes back to Hornady IX. X also only goes to 129 for 2350. Hornady brought out the 123SST for the Grendel. My 123, 30gr load of CFE223 (ball powder) is compressed, so a 140 would be too long.

GeauxTide

Alexander Arms Reloading Book

I bought the 2 book set when I bought my AA Overwatch a few years ago. They only list 140 and 144 Lapua Target bullets at 2200-2300 with VV powders. With all the Creed users, you could sell those 140s and get more 123s. With that aforementioned 30gr load, my 123s print a consistent .3" for 5 shots.

Wendyj

I was googling to find info on the load and came across Johnny's Reloading Bench. He was testing some 140s with about 3 different powders with the 18 inch barrel and was around the 2400 FPS on a few loads. I know it’s not much more than 30-30 speeds but would work great in my 90 yard deer hunting area. It’s not a must do it was just something I was going to try.

Had to edit this. iPad has a mind of its own sometimes. The 149 was my mistake. 0 is too close to 9.

Last edited:
I was googling to find info on the load and came across Kohnnys Reloading Bench. He was testing some 149s with about 3 different powders with the 18 inch barrel and was around the 2400 FPS on a few loads.

Do you mean Johnny's Reloading Bench and 129s @ 2400 fps?

149s won't fit in an AR15 magazine and 149s at 2400 fps are going to be way over pressure.

hammie

@wendyj: I found only one load. It is from Handloader magazine, Dec 2017, #311. They were using a CZ 527, bolt action, with a 24 inch barrel for the load development. The bullet was not a nosler ballistic tip, and so I don't know how that would translate for you, but here it is...

Berger 140 grain boat tail target bullet, 25.5 grains of Winchester W-748, overall loaded cartridge length of 2.250 inches, and chronographed velocity of 2,006 ft/sec.

My wife of 45 years is also a shooter and reloader, and she usually gets me a new gun around this time of year. I've been considering a bolt action rifle (CZ 527 or Ruger American) chambered for 6.5 Grendel. It's an intriguing and efficient cartridge.

Wendyj

I’d like to have this in a bolt gun also. It’s been a great sub moa gun in the AR even with the Radical barrel after I had the barrel receiver lapped to get the burs off. Hoping to see a lot of improvement with the Anderson barrel. I zeroed it in with 123 Hornady Black and was around an inch. Reloaded 123 Hornady match with a Varget and got sub moa with it. F1 lower and a Timney 2 lb trigger. I had bought it with a Faxon 223 Wylde barrel heavy fluted and its great. Just wanted to choose something different. I had some 130 Nosler accubonds left and loaded them up with some IMR 4166 to try out at the range next week. The Tikka Creedmoor was a great rifle but I’m still partial to the 260 so it’s the one I kept in the bolt action. Going to have to buy the 2 set book for reloading the Grendel.

hounddawg

looking at those velocities I can see why there isn't much data. I did not run any numbers but a seat of the pants opinion is that would have to be some close range shooting for expansion

Wendyj

At this point I think I’m better running the 140s through the 260 and staying from 120-130 on the Grendel. I tried to find some 129 accubond long range today but appears everyone has done found them. I’m going to try my regular 130 accubonds this weekend. Was reading and appears the 129 will expand better at Grendel velocities verses the 130. Go figure.

hounddawg

sorry did not mean to ninja post on you but yeah I agree. I have a couple of boxes of 120 TSX's for my Grendel I have not had a chance to test

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

For what it's worth, QuickLOAD thinks IMR3031 is going to be a top choice at 140 grains for the Nosler BT, just as it is with the 30-30. Based on what I see and using a tweaked powder file, I think you want to start at 22 grains of IMR3031 and work up toward about 24.8 grains while watching for pressure signs and watching velocities. With an 18" barrel it should end up at about 2270 fps. With a 24" barrel it will be almost 2400 fps. Assuming your chamber is looser than a test barrel, you may end up with a little more powder.