130 grain FMJ or 158 grain Lead Round Nose?

130 grain FMJ or 158 grain Lead Round Nose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

defjon

Howdy kids!

Throwing a poll up here. Two options. I have two .38's, neither rated for the +p stuff. The Taurus is a 2'' barrelled snubby, and the Rossi is an older gun. I don't know the model. It's an extremely lightweight, three inch barreled five shooter. So needless to say, I wouldn't trust +p in that one either. Ammo selection where I live is dismal and I don't have a credit card (don't need the headache) to order offline.

I am limited to these two options, comparable in price. If I had a +p gun, I could get decent +p HPs, but ...I don't...so there you have it. Either one of these rounds is fine for plinking, FMJ getting the nod here because of the cleaning hassle of the LRN.

Which gets the nod for the better self defense round? Before you say it. I know neither is very good. I realize this. These are the only two options around. Peroid.

(PS- As of now, I keep both little .38's stoked with the LRN. I like the heavier bullet idea, and from the figures I've seen, you get better ft/lbs energy)

texas07

i carry 158 lrn

I also carry a small 38 snubby not rated for +p. my non scientific opinion says that fmj makes too small a hole, but LRN will deform some, providing a substitute for hp expansion, but being an underpowered round, will stay compact enough to provide for adequate penetration....

Puppy

Honestly, I would'nt want to be shot in the head by either one.

I dont get caught up in the "this load expands .03" more and has + 25fps than that load" arguements.

Shot placement is way more important than any other factor.

cje1980

Look for a 158gr. SWC load. This will crush more tissue and deform slightly as well. It is a standard pressure load and I've seen Black Hills and Winchester at local stores. I don't think there would be enough difference between 130gr. FMJ and 158gr. RNL to even worry about it. They are both going to leave unimpressive wound channels. Look for something that is a JHP or something with a big flat nose.

defjon

Well, like I said...I'd love a better round, and know of a quite a few, but in my neck of the woods I can get value boxes of 130 grain FMJ or 50 round boxes of various 158 grain LRD loads.

Ronny

Since you have access to the internet why can't you order ammo?

He already said:

... I don't have a credit card (don't need the headache) to order offline.

I second the recommendation for 158gr SWC. Given the choices, a wadcutter round will give a slightly better crush cavity than a LRN. If I were in your shoes I'd practice with the FMJ (for easier cleaning) and carry the SWC for defense.

Laz

Limited to those choices, 158 LRN without a doubt in my mind. Heavier, will deform if it hits something, etc.

45-70

It's Your Life, But I'd Spend a Couple of Bucks for SWCs

I would not be happy having to bet my life on either of your choices, over getting better ammo. But if I had to use just those two, that's what I'd do, alternate them in the cylinder. After the first 4 shots, you might have an idea of which to reload with, at least. ;)

gb_in_ga

I rate them equally unacceptable, so I didn't vote. I'd only consider using either of them as a last resort. There are plenty of adequate ammo choices out there for this platform making the choice moot. Even if there were no acceptable factory loads (and there are), I can handload much better stuff than the offered choices and still avoid +P loadings.

Hal

158 gr RNL + a little time with a file = 158 gr RNLFP (flat point)

I did this with some loads I used in my Marlin Cowboy II.

Probably won't help much - but better than nothing.

Sport45

158 gr RNL + a little time with a file = 158 gr RNLFP (flat point)

Maybe a 148gr flat point? (Depends on how much you file away.)

Anyway, why not go ahead and buy the cheap stuff for practice and get one box of good self-defense ammunition for carry/protection? You don't have to have a credit card for online merchants. Most of them (the good ones, anyway) still have the brick and mortar storefronts and will take your check through the US Mail. If the revolvers are steel, a box or three of +p won't hurt them.

azredhawk44

I've noticed in my 3" ruger sp101 that 158gr hits directly at point of aim, but anything lighter hits considerably lower. 125gr will hit about 3" lower than 158gr at about 30 feet. I have fixed sights.

Don't know if you have fixed sights or not, but the gun may be designed to shoot the standard 158gr load. If you are really concerned about bullet selection in SD ammo, you could do this:

Get the following equipment:
Bullet pulling hammer (maybe $10)
A Lee powder funnel (maybe $2)
Lee classic cast press (dirt cheap)
Lee all-in-one loading die .38/.357 ($15 at Midway)
A bag of LSWC, JHP, or whatever projectile you want ($25/500 LSWC, $15/100 Hornady XTP JHP)

Insert your self defense rounds, one at a time, into the bullet pulling hammer. Rap it on the ground until the bullet and powder fall out. Pour the powder back into the case, discard or store the original bullet. Using the press and all-in-one die, seat a replacement bullet in the case. Compare case length with a factory assembled case.

This also preps you to get into reloading.

Beware of losing or adding powder. You want the complete original charge back in the case. Also only do this with loads that match the replacement bullet weight. Heavier bullets have less powder than lighter bullets. Lighter bullets have more powder than heavier bullets. So replace 158gr with 158gr, or 130gr with 130gr.

You can do this with about 100 rounds to perfect your technique, testing them out. Then do it meticulously with maybe 20 rounds. Save those as SD rounds. Plink and practice with the same weight bullet as your SD ammo.

joneb

defjon, soak a pile of newspaper in water for a day, and see which round has more penatration. Accuracy should also be a deciding factor.

Coffee357

I agree with azredhawk44. Most fixed sight 38 revolvers are regulated for the 158 grain load. I got a hold of some 158 gr semi-wadcutters for my non +P guns and they seem to like them just fine. I think the SWC's will deliver a better defined wound channel.

Love&Hate12

I am fairly sure that Wal-Mart carries a standard loaded WWB JHP box for every major caliber.

In packs of 50.

They aren't the best hollowpoints but they will be better than any fmj or swc, and they also aren't +p.

Tom2

Mil load

I believe that the FMJ 130 load was a military design due to the usual combat restrictions. I think that the military preferred the heavy lead bullet before the Hague made it undesireable. Think the FMJ 130 is what military police carried in the revolvers that they had before the conversion to the Beretta. Well, I am sure it penetrated pretty well, anyway.