12ga slugs?

troy_mclure

im kinda thinking of getting me a lee loader for 12ga, so i can load some brass cased slugs.

no real reason why, id just like to have the capability to do so.

id probably pick up a slug mould as well.

how difficult is reloading slugs? how about in brass cases?

GP100man

as long as safe practices are followed & the correct amount cards are used I see no problem except how to keep it all in the brass shell .

Liquid glass maybe , That`s what the SASS shooters use

jmortimer

Look up the Shotgun from "hell" thread from Hubel458 - much info on loading s slugs in brass - his last post had good info about having no space - i.e. using filler/wad. Ballistic Products is a good place to start http://www.ballisticproducts.com/
I think the Lyman Slug is the best one - Looks like a giant air gun pellet.

reloader28

I never tried the brass hulls, so I know nothing about them.
The slugs loads I use are as easy as loading any other load. The slug sits inside the wad just like shot.

snuffy

Loading slugs in brass hulls is NOT a good idea.

There's 2 types of brass hulls available today. The magtech, and the Rocky Mountain Cartridge hulls.

The magtech hulls are very thin, so the inside diameter of the shell is HUGE! Normal 12 gauge shotshell components do not fit. They're too loose! That requires the use of 11 gauge card wads for the over-powder wad. Then comes the way to hold everything together, IOW how to crimp them!

The rocky hulls are lathe turned, so they're much thicker. You CAN use standard 12 gauge wads. But again, how to crimp?

You'd be much better of using just about any plastic hull. Then you can use normal trap wads, AND use a star crimp to close 'em up. If you want to get fancy, roll crimpers are available to make them look like factory.

Lee, and Lyman both make slug molds. I have both of the lee molds, one is 7/8 oz. , the other is 1 ounce. I also have the lyman mold, but it is very heavy, almost 1-¼ ounce. Lyman also makes a forester type mold, the old hollow base round nose. It's full bore size, so it CAN'T be loaded inside a plastic wad.