12G TC New Englander

grubbylabs

New to black powder and wondering about a TC New Englander 12 G that I found and am thinking of getting. I am wondering if that gun can handle steel shot or if it is a lead only gun?

Aussie Pete

Have you tried the TC web site?
You may need the date of manufacture. I haven't heard of any black powder shotties that can spew steel shot.

mykeal

I know of no T/C shotgun barrels that were chrome lined from the factory. It's possible, but unlikely, yours was done aftermarket. You might have a gunsmith take a look at it, but I'd be inclined to assume it was not intended for steel shot.

And yes, newer Pedersoli percussion shotguns are chrome lined for steel shot.

eastbank

i think you can use bismuth shot for migrtory birds. its a softer type steel or iron shot non toxic and is legal. eastbank.

grubbylabs

I have not bought the gun yet, I think I am only interested in one if they can handle steel shot. Can a gun smith have it lined so it can take steel? Or is it what it is, and I should look for one that says it is made for steel?

Hawg

You need a chrome lined bore. You can have it lined but I don't know what it would cost to do so. Might be cheaper in the long run to get a Pedersoli.

grubbylabs

What is the average cost of a Pedersoli? Like I said I am very new to this and basically know nothing about black powder guns, other than the few times I have shot one and it was really fun.

Pahoo

grubbylabs
I own and shoot a N/E in a .50 and am not familiar with this shotgun. However, let me quote the small print in TC's #23 catalog, page 33. Going to assume your model has screwed in choke tubes. Will let you decifer what it says. .... : confused:

New Englander 12 Guage models are now available with screw-in IC choke tubes. Accessary choke tubes; IC, MOD, and FUll, are available. IC and MOD choke tubes are suitable for use with steel shot.

From this, I might?? assume that you can use steel shot! If it were me, I'd "phone" them and ask.

Be Safe !!!

grubbylabs

The shop is asking 250 for the gun is that a fare price if it does what I want? I am going to call TC before I buy the gun to make sure though.

Pahoo

Don't want to step in anyone's toes but for the shotgun, I'd say he's just a might high; about $50.00. Shotguns don't do as well as rifles but they can be just as much fun. I have asked $250.00 for my rifle and I still have it. Perhaps it's a good fair price for a shop. I don't know!! Heck, if you want it, get it and I hope the price is an out-the-door price !!! :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Pahoo

Want to be clear that I meant they might be high by $50.00. My books says $200.00 in 98% and that is clean. Again, keep in mind that the shotguns have limited interest when compared to the rifles. If it looks good to you, buy it !!! :D

Be Safe !!!

grubbylabs

Sorry miss understood ya, I am clue less about this whole thing and don't want to make a bad buy. It is at a mom and pop shop they run out of their basement called Davy Crockett. My friend said he is supposed to be a great grand son to the original Davey Crockett, but I am not sure about all of that.

But the gun is real clean(looks like it just came out of the box) and has a screw in choke if that means any thing.

eastbank

my new englander is a regular one with no choke, and i don,t use it for ducks so i use lead shot. the only thing about having a choke tube is it is a little harder to load with the right diamiter wads but will extend your range over my cylinder choke. and you must take the choke out when you clean it and clean the threads in the barrel and on the choke tube, if you don,t the tube will corrode and stick in the barrel. they are a lot of fun, i am good to about 25 yds with the cylinder choke, shooting 1-1/4 oz 6,s. eastbank.

Aussie Pete

Do you know anyone in a club that has one? OR is there a club nearby that you could attend, and if luck is with you there maybe one there for you to see, shoot, and/or ask questions about. It is always good to try before you buy.

That's the ideal but failing the above has anyone in this forum got one of these animals or know anyone that has?:cool:

grubbylabs

I agree that would be the best, But I hope to be able to catch some one at TC tomorrow to see what they say. If it can take steel I am much more interested since I can use it for duck and goose.