125gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in the ole 30-06

PunchinPaper

I just loaded up some 125gr Nosler Ballistic tips for my old trusty 30-06.
This is the first time I have ventured in the 125gr terriorty of the 30-06, I loaded these to use for coyotes and other varmints. Anyone else try these in 06, where they any good ? BTW... The rifle is a Rem 700 with 1-10 twist.
I used WLR primers and W760 with once fired Rem brass neck sized.

PunchinPaper

I normally use 180gr Bullets in the 30-06 for hunting.
A bullet that heavy for shooting coyotes is a bit more than needed.
I will be going to the range to test these for accuracy as soon as I get a chance. If all goes well,I will be calling in songdogs by this weekend.

mrawesome22

I tried it with the vmax a couple years ago.

Too much gun. Makes a mess of yotes.

Turns groundhogs inside out though.

savagelover

I have tried down to the 110 grain for woodchucks with pretty good results...I no longer have that load data so i can't say for sure which powder i used..but it seems i had to try several to get the accuracy i was after...if you know other reloader's maybe they can loan you some different powder so you don't have to buy a pound for nothing...Good luck but most of all have FUN...

mrawesome22

Savagelover just reminded me, I was using the 110 grain vmax.

I think the 125 BT is a deer bullet. It will probably leave a huge exit hole. On the other hand, it may not expand and just leave a caliber size exit hole.

PunchinPaper

Thanks guys.
The 125 B-T is suppose to be a deer / antelope bullet from what the box shows. I don't have a Nosler manual, I found my load data on the Winchester website. I would imagine this bullet would open up fine an a yote tho.

nate45

As has been stated, the 125 grain BT is structured for deer/antelope.

I've never used the .30 caliber 125 BT on coyotes, but I have shot one, or two with the .30 caliber 150 grain BT out of a .30-06 and it expanded fine. So all in all, I think the 125 BT will work on coyotes

I have used the .30 caliber 125 grain Sierra and 130 grain Speer out of the .308 and .300 Savage for deer/hogs, they drop velocity faster than heavier weights at longer ranges, but out to 300 yards or so they work great. I have shot a few coyotes with those two and they worked fine.

PunchinPaper

Mrawesome22- I'm not keeping the pelts,I am thinning out yotes for a guy who has had his livestock and house dogs attacked by them.

I just got back from the range. I am impressed with my first trial load, I got several 1" center to center groups. Exclude the flyer and the smallest would be 1/2". And POI is strangely not real far from where my 180s hit at 100 yards.
I may try to adjust my load a bit to see if I can squeeze a lil more accuracy out of this bullet. One thing about it this load is quite a boomer.

PunchinPaper

Ill use this 125gr load for coyotes once.
If nothing else I have developed a legitament 125 WT Deer load.
I have been considering my 180gr load as a bit much for these Texas WT , I may have found an alternative.

spaniel

Heck, I carry some 110 vmax for my 300wm for coyotes. 3800fps :D

Dead is dead. It's flat and open here, I WANT the bullet to utterly fragment when it hits anything. I have never seen a load do such thing to a water filled milk jug.

PunchinPaper

Spaniel, 110s in the 300 wow!!
I bet that is a wicked load.
And your right "Dead is Dead"
,they don't know what grain bullet hit em.
I went coyote hunting the other night but it was a bust.
My cousins took me to a spot where they had shot 2 at the previous night , then we tried another spot and had one coming in but the wind shifted and he put the brakes on.

farmerboy

If I was shooting coyotes with a 30-06, Id just shoot them with my 165 grain SSTs. That way whether hog/deer hunting or shooting whatever I dont have to mess with my scope. If its just to shoot them with a small bullet then Id grab one of my 223s or my 22-250.

PunchinPaper

Farmer,
The reason I loaded 125s for yotes is I don't have a smaller caliber rifle except 22mag. I was surprised when I went to the range with the 125s their POI was very close to where my normal hunting load ( 180gr SSTs ) land.

mrawesome22

If you do not care about pelt damage then any rifle will do and move this to the hunt.

You are worried about a deer bullet taking coyotes?

PunchinPaper

Not really worried about a "Deer" bullet taking a coyote at all , just wondering if anyone has had experience with these bullets and what to expect. Thanks for all the info people.
I tested the loads and they proved accurate enough in 30-06 to use for varmints.

hootey

125 ?

Loaded several hundred for brother-n-law out in the midwest years back for a chistmas present. 125gr nosler ballistic tips in 30-06 & 300 savage both. Loaded all of them at the accuracy level according to sierra. He carries 06 in ford & 300 in his dodge pickups. He loves them for yotes and stray dogs chasing his cows. Told me it was bout time I retired out there so I could load him some more yote ammo cause he is getting low. :D

PunchinPaper

The 125 B-Tips have impressed me.
That's the nice thing about the 30-06, you have so many options at the loading bench. Thanks people.