125 gr .357 for the woods

BlueTrain

Although I am unlikely to every need to shoot an animal in self defense, the subject interests me.

At one time, the .357 was considered a fairly good choice for a sidearm if you were spending time where you might need one. These days people seem to want to something bigger but I don't have anything bigger that fits in a holster. But my question is about the bullet.

Only relatively recently have lightweight bullets in .357's become popular. Previously a .58 gr. was more the standard. The revolver was probably heavier, too. I have to admit that the 125 gr is not bad to shoot in a K-frame revolver like Model 13, although it is something of a blaster at an inside range. But even 40 years ago they were qualifying statements about .357's that they had to be properly loaded.

So the question then is whether or not the 125 gr .357 fired from a 4-inch barrel an OK choice compared to the 158 grain .357?

Jeff F

My hunting loads are 158gr and up to 180gr Keith style hard cast gas check lead bullets. I add the gas checks myself so I can push em fast without leading problems.

dallasconundrum

Yup, I'd want to step on up to the 158 grain load for critters, and depending on what all you got up there maybe even a little higher.

Chris1911

Go Buffalo Bore 180 Grain......You won't be disappointed with the end results....I wouldn't consider them plinkers though...Doubletap is an excellent choice too..

TheGunShack

I know this doesn't answer your question, but it's my 2 cents about carry in the woods.
I'd rather carry a .44Mag. I shoot both, but when in the woods - I rather have .44. I think it's easyer to shoot. I know it doesn't hurt my ears like the .357:rolleyes: I carry 200 to 250 grain Hollow Points. Black Talons being my first pick.

cje1980

I'd rather carry a .44Mag. I shoot both, but when in the woods - I rather have .44. I think it's easyer to shoot. I know it doesn't hurt my ears like the .357 I carry 200 to 250 grain Hollow Points. Black Talons being my first pick.

First of all that is way off topic and you are comparing apples to oranges. A 180gr. 44Mag load is just as deafening as a 125gr. load 357 load. I think we are all in agreement that the 125gr. loads are a poor woods carry choice. I would go with a minimum of 158gr. Other than grizzly defense I can't see where a 44Mag would be needed in most of the USA. Remember a larger caliber can actually be a disadvantage if you can't control it. I don't find a 158gr. JHP load to be any louder than the average supersonic 9mm loads. I think a perfect woods choice for the 357 would be the 158gr. Speer GD load. It penetrates about 18" and consistently expands to .55" and its bonded so you know its going to hold up.

stercrazy

The question was about 357's so lets stay with them!

When it comes to stopping power on a critter that is about to put you into the food chain. I personally would go with the heaviest bullet weight I could comfortably and accurately shoot.

A Miss is a Miss be it with a .22 or a 105 Howitzer!

Do you hand load or are we talking factory stuff only here? If you handload that opens options not avaivable to the nonhandloader. Either way If you do or if you don't go with a Very Good Quality Heavy bullet. You may have to break bones to get the animal down. And remember this those critters have not seen the movies or read the books that tell them they are supposed to fall over dead when they get shot!

:D

BobMcG

stercrazy said:
Either way If you do or if you don't go with a Very Good Quality Heavy bullet. You may have to break bones to get the animal down. And remember this those critters have not seen the movies or read the books that tell them they are supposed to fall over dead when they get shot!

Good one! That's a fact.

Put me in the heavy bullet camp too.

22-rimfire

The 158 gr and heavier loads are probably preferrable for the woods. But, it really depends what you are trying to accomplish. The Buffalo Bore 180 gr solid loads would be preferrable for hunting. But I lean toward a larger caliber for hunting. It is an endless debate 357 vs 41 vs 44 or 9mm vs 40 vs 45 vs 10mm. You shoot what you like.

It seems more difficult to buy 158 gr loads these days. Wallyworld does not carry them in stores that I have shopped. The 125gr loads are considered ideal for defensive purposes against humans. If you want to go with the 125 gr loading in the woods for general carry, I would go with a soft point vs hollow point.

juliet charley

Wal-Mart is a great place to buy plinking ammo. It is not the best place to buy serious ammo. I refuse to let Wal-Mart determine what I carry.

Longbowshooter

I usually carry a Winchester 180 gr. load in my 3" SP101 in the woods. Idf I'm carrying a 6 shooter from Spring to Fall My 1st round is snake shot (38 SP) and the remaining 180 gr winchesters.

I tried 158 gr. Buffalo Bore in my 4" GP100 and they were pretty stout. The recoil was tolerable but they sprayed back in my face which I wouldn't want to think about as I was taking a shot.

beenthere

125 grain

I've never liked the 125 grain loads. Even handloading I've not gone less than 140 grain. I've tried to buy 158 grain loads lately at Wal-mart and they said they don't sell anything but WB Winch or 125 grain in anything else. So I buy white Box to plink and either buy the good stuff if I'm short of time or reload heavier at home.

In my area in northern Indiana I'd probably never run into anything bigger than a coyote but if that happened it would most likely be rabid if it didn't run. In that case I want full penetration so I still like the heavier bullets.

Just my comfort zone of course.

Webleymkv

First of all, where do you live? If you live in Montana or Alaska then I'd say you need to be using 200grn loads. If you live in Iowa or Missouri, I'd say that 125's will probably be OK. I live in Southern Indiana and my main concern in the woods is other people. I just use my regular carry load (Which happens to be Remington 158grn SJHP). If you are thinking of deer hunting the heavier loads are definately superior. If you simply want to small game hunt, then 110grn .357's or even .38's will serve your needs just fine.