12 Point Plan

Yung.gunr

I realize that this is a kinda old article, but I just saw it and found it interesting and pretty well thought out.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/th...igate-mass-shootings-that-will-actually-work/

There are two things that I think may be a little overkill. The one requiring officers to serve as school security to get their full pension, I don't really like the idea of adding a REQUIRED number of YEARS to something they already worked for. Maybe setting up a part time job for retired LEO'S that doesn't affect their retired status and is tax free. Im sure there would be a lot who would do that.

Secondly, the hardening of classroom doors, I think that could end up being a detrimental barricade used in the wrong instances. If the schools are NOT gun free and there are concealed carry employees I don't think the ballistic doors are as necessary now.

What do you guys think?

kilimanjaro

They could change the years-of-service rules for new hires, but it's not going to happen for existing LEOs who are within a few years of their 20 and out. For that matter, you could just extend the years of service and use the LEOs for administrative as well as security duty. Changing pension requirements is not something you do overnight and not to the folks who have put in their service or nearly so. It would add to the debt burden of any municipality, by increasing pension payouts. Maybe a simpler way to get people to serve is to make pension payments non-taxable for all citizens, then anyone could work without penalty.

The doors should be hardened, it's the last resort. If your security is down and the CCW teacher is in the room with the kids or lying dead in the hallway, that door is all the kids have.

We need to think a little bit less about active shooter/nutjob killer scenarios and a bit more about Beslan-type terror attacks. A door might make a lone wacko move down the hallway in frustration, but a determined attack team is not going to be kept from their 'mission' by a locked steel door.

tlm225

I have a concern with the CERT concept. In any active shooter situation in smaller cities multiple LE agencies will be responding. Having them all on deck and accustomed to working with CERT is highly unlikely. The CERT responders would need a recognizable garment that LEO's would immediately recognize as a friendly. There are already enough concerns about plainclothes officers responding.

Beyond that, IMO all teachers who desire to do so should be trained and armed, no discretion on the part of school management. Can't trust them with a gun? Then they aren't trustworthy enough to be around the kids to begin with.

Officers in my state already have to work 28 years to qualify for retirement. Perhaps create part time positions for those who have retired to work the schools on a random basis.

kilimanjaro said:
The doors should be hardened, it's the last resort. If your security is down and the CCW teacher is in the room with the kids or lying dead in the hallway, that door is all the kids have.
I agree completely.

Some years ago I was engaged professionally to review the plans for additions and alterations to the local high school in my town. I was reviewing for building and fire code issues and ADA compliance, but one thing that jumped out at me was that all the new classroom doors had glass sidelights. This was only a few years after Columbine and security was very much on people's minds, so this struck me as being rather odd, and probably "not a good thing."

It concerned me enough that I made an appointment with the deputy chief of police to discuss it. He said the police department had not been consulted by either the school board or the architect during the design period. My contact was the first time anyone had asked to discuss any aspect of the new school with the PD. He agreed 100 percent that the glass sidelights were a dumb idea.

So I raised it as a concern. The architect's response was, "We like them. We think they convey a sense of openness to the classrooms." So the school board bought into it like good little cattle, and the classrooms got glass sidelights. I have since attended adult education classes in the school, and the narrow glass sidelights don't add anything to a "sense of openness" in the classrooms. But they are right next to the latch, and they aren't bullet resistant, so they could have saved the money spent on classroom door locks, because a shooter could easily shoot out the glass and reach through to open the door.

There's an old saying that "Ignorance can be educated, but stupid is forever."