12-inch Taurus .357 Magnum

Sevens

Saw one of these for sale yesterday, and yes -- it did look a little crazy, but I had to pick it up to see what kind of balance it might have and I must say that they did well and it didn't feel nearly as ridiculous as it certainly looked.

I didn't check for a model number, it did not have a full barrel underlug (thank heavens!) but it was blued and a 7-shot. Frame size looked the same as my Taurus Model 66.

I didn't investigate it any further than to feel the heft & balance... this is because the gal behind the table said it was $600. That simply was not ever going to happen from me, but I wanna say at $400, I probably would have brought it home if the function check passed.

I think it would be an interesting experience to spend some time shooting a double action revolver with a nutty long barrel.

Anybody have one?

Venom1956

800px-3863targetLastActionHero-1.jpg

Sevens

It definitely did not have the barrel profile visible in that picture. It really looked like the same barrel profile on, say, a S&W Model 19. It had a shroud for the ejector rod but the shroud only covered the end of it an then it was gone. I wouldn't call the barrel profile tapered either, it was simply a tube barrel running the full 12 inches. It did not start out fat and get smaller at the muzzle.

It balanced so well, it now becomes a revolver I hope to run across again at a price I can justify taking a chance with a Taurus.

Venom1956

Ooops sorry I deleted my txt! :eek: thats a Dan Wesson in my picture. I said something like "Dan Wessons can get even bigger." ;)

philuk44

Here in the UK for a firearm to be legal for civilians it must have at least a 12" barrel and be at least 24" overall. So there are quite a few 12" Taurus revolvers over here but they have to be fitted with a wrist brace type extension to bring them up to minimum OAL.

Despite that they don't actually handle too badly - not as nice as the S&W 686 I used to have before the ban................. :mad: But let's not go there...........

Here's a pic of a friend of mine shooting his :)

S1033215.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gazpacho

Them long barrel revolvers are a hoot to shoot. Here is one that I had custom built from a S&W model 28.

DSC_0033-1.jpg

It was a project purchase that sat a long time until I found the right gunsmith.

P.S. You just might be able to zoom in and read the inscription on the barrel.

Nick_C_S

686 w/ 8-3/8" bbl is the max for my arsenal. As you know, the 686 is full underlugged, so it's quite front-heavy. But it does handle full-wide-open-throttle ammo with very little recoil.

I bought it in '84. At the time, I loved it and put tons of rounds through it. My shooting preferences have evolved a lot since then. These days, it's a safe queen. Took it out about 15 months ago for the first time in almost 2 decades.