12 guage slug vs. .44 mag lever gun

jheitertusa

The hunting laws have been changed this year in Indiana to allow pistol caliber carbines (of certain calibers) for deer hunting. I have been using a 12 guage Remington 870 with sabot slugs.

I was wondering, how does the recoil on a gun like the lever action Marlin 1894ss .44 mag stack up to a 12 guage with a slug? Is it a lot less, about the same?

My problem with the 12 guage is that I have never felt that I am as accurate as I could be with it, and it is a bear to sight in. I have switched to "managed recoil" type sabots.

The Marlin 1894 also comes in a .357 mag and .41 mag version so I may consider those as well. Most likely will not purchase in time for this season, I'm just looking to next year....

Leif

.44mag in a carbine definitely causes less felt recoil than a standard 12 gauge slug. It will provide greater range, and possibly better accuracy.

Deaf Smith

Depends on the .44! A short 16 incher with no recoil pad ain't real fun to shoot with max loads. Even my 20 inch Winchster 94 .44 mag is a fair kicker (still, it's no where near a 12 gauge slug gun!)

Here is an easy way to figure it out.

.44 magnum 240gr at 1700 fps comes to 408000 (240x1700)
12 guage 437.5gr (one ounce) at 1600 comes to 700000 (437.5x1600)

If the guns weigh the same, say 7 lb rifle/shotgun, then the 12 gauage will kick almost 80 percent more than the .44 magnum rifle.

Yea, those 12 guages do kick a mite!

TPAW

Here is an easy way to figure it out.

.44 magnum 240gr at 1700 fps comes to 408000 (240x1700)
12 guage 437.5gr (one ounce) at 1600 comes to 700000 (437.5x1600)

If the guns weigh the same, say 7 lb rifle/shotgun, then the 12 gauage will kick almost 80 percent more than the .44 magnum rifle.

Forget the stats. If you want to figure it out, visit the range and fire both. Your shoulder will figure it out for you. Like shoes, you won't know if they will hurt your feet until you walk in them.

FS2K

Stick with the Remington 870 jheitertusa

And try out a KNOXX SpecOps recoild reducing stock.

Quote: "Hunters – The same features that make the SpecOps ideal for law enforcement apply to hunters of all types. Deer hunters will enjoy better control of their shotgun and will find pre-season practice much more enjoyable, making them better shooters and resulting in more game for the freezer."

While the pistol grip is NOT "PC" the stock itself is an excellent piece.

jheitertusa

I installed one of the Remington R3 recoil pads made by Limbsaver. Haven't shot it since I installed it.

I also wondered, does Magnaporting have much of an effect on a shotgun shooting slugs? I would imagine a lot of the recoil has to do with the weight of the slug....

OldTXCop

The 44 is definitely easier on recoil then the 12 ga. I have both, a Model 94 trapper with 16" barrel and a 870 turkey gun that I have shot slugs thru. I have also shot my fair share of 18.5" 870 & 500 police pump guns and they will definitely thump you pretty good. The trapper is really easy to shoot compared to those. I use it all the time for brush hunting deer and hogs here in Texas.

Hope this helps.

Ac1d0v3r1d3

lets put it this way

My 99 pound girlfriend enjoys shooting my marlin model 1894 in 44 mag. And i dont even enjoy shooting slugs through my 12 gauge pump.

gordo b.

I have killed deer with a .357 and a .44magnum carbine. I still 'pot' deer out of my and the neighbors apple orchard with a scoped Rem. 788 bolt gun in .44 mag. When I go back East where one has to shoot deer with a SG I use a Rem. 1100 with a dot sight and Breneke slugs. The shotgun seems plenty accurate and sure knocks those big eastern whitetails over. Seems like a lot more powerful killer to me than a .44mag.;)

So, you have an excuse to purchase a new gun? What are you waiting for?:D

Don't forget about .45 Colt in a lever. A beefy .45 Colt load out of a modern lever is pure sweetness.

geez768

lever gun?

are you sure you can use a ever gun with the new law? here in Ohio we have that same law (no rifles shotgun slug and hand gun rounds only) but we have to shot the handgun rounds out of a hand gun. no rifles at all even with handgun rounds.

jheitertusa

Yes, Geez, in Indiana pistol caliber carbines are now legal as long as they fire the same pistol calibers that are legal for handgun hunting. It was a new change to the law made this year. High-power rifles are still a no-no.

Looks like I have an excuse to buy another gun. Won't get it for this years season, though. I'll stick with the 870 for this year.

my little Marlin in 44 mag was just the sweetest shooting little gun...

... well... untill some monster turned it over to the dark side...;) ... interestingly enough... still legal in 50 A.E. it's now a mule kicker with heavy cast bullets...

Bottom gun in this pic...
attachment.php

Last edited:

SavageSniper

My choice would be the .44mag. They are great shooters for 50-100 yrds and are a real pleasure to carry. It is the best hog gun that I have had to date. Real handy when Point-Bang shooting is needed. Is just lever actions legal or can you use a semi-auto?

jheitertusa

Savage, semi-auto is legal too. It just has to be pistol caliber of the same caliber that is legal for deer hunting. Basically .357 mag and up. Although, they use a combo of cartridge length and caliber. This, oddly enough, makes .44 special legal although I wouldn't do it. :confused: