12 Guage Reloading

C7AR15

I started shooting Trap with my new CZ O/U shotgun. Using factory ammo,

It seems like no one at this club even reloads 12 guage any more ??

What happened ??? Ammo is reasonably priced ??

FITASC

Not any more; ammo is becoming as scarce as 9mm or .22lr............issue is components, especially primers, are also hard to come by..............

rg1

Mainly because lead shot prices. 25 lb. bag of shot at $40to $60 dollars makes buying the better option. Plus primers have gone up too. Seems a case of target loads, 250 rounds can be found from 70-90 dollars while your 25 LB bag of shot only loads a few more than 300 rounds. Plus primers and powder.

Last edited:

USSR

Count yourself lucky - there will be a lot of free hulls left for you.:)

...your 25 LB bag of shot only loads a few more than 300 rounds

Actually, there is nothing that says you have to shoot 1 1/8 ounce loads at the 16 yard line, and I don't know anybody who does. I shoot 7/8 ounce loads and get over 450 loads out of a 25# bag of shot. By looking around and buying smart, I figure I save about $1 per box of shells, in addition to having better shells than the promotional shells that are sold cheaply.

Don

FITASC

Mainly because lead shot prices. 25 lb. bag of shot at $40to $60 dollars makes buying the better option. Plus primers have gone up too. Seems a case of target loads, 250 rounds can be found from 70-90 dollars while your 25 LB bag of shot only loads a few more than 300 rounds. Plus primers and powder.

I reload 3/4oz for practice and I get 533 loads from a bag of shot. There is absolutely no reason to reload 1-1/8 oz for any clay game.

Shotgun Slim

I'm with Fitasc. Now there are 3/4 ounce wads for 12 gauge so it's easy to load light. If somebody can break skeet targets with 1/2 ounce loads out of a .410 then anybody should be able to bust trap targets with 3/4 out of their 12 ga.Less cost,less recoil,less wear on the gun,more satisfaction....What's not to like