12 gauge slug ammo pricing

12-34hom

Got the oil changed in my truck today, while waiting picked up a outdoor type magazine. It had one article with accuracy testing of deer slugs.

I noted that in thier test one slug - Remington Accu-tip had a score of .5 moa for five shots at 100yards. Always looking for a good slug to shoot, i decided to go to my local sporting goods store. In this case it was a Scheels sporting good at College square mall, Cedar Falls, Ia.

Shotgun season for deer starts here next weekend, and thier supply was somewhat limited. [i don"t hunt deer] But i did find several boxes of this particular slug.

Price = 17.89 for five.....:eek: Is this the norm? I've done several tests on slug accuracy with differing brands, with the best i found shooting from my smoothbore 12 guage were Fedarel "trueball" 2 3/4 inch. They were nowhere near this price.

What have you paid for shotgun slugs were you live?

Just curious, 12-34hom.

12GaugeShuggoth

Those Accu-Tips from Remington are at the top of the price ladder, at least around here. Sabot slugs are considerably more expensive than foster/rifled slugs, and that's the price gap you noticed. I usually just use the cheap Win/Rem value pack rifled slugs at 2 3/4". You get 15 for around $10-12 depending on where you buy from. I do have some Winchester Platinum Tip Sabot Slugs that I bought for around $15 for 5.

Try a couple different stores to see what's available, there are cheaper sabot slugs that are still very capable.

rem870hunter

the accutips here are ranging anywhere from 19.99 to 23.95. most of the other sabots are going 12.95 and up. the rifled slugs 4.49-6.00.

shortwave

Don`t hunt deer with shotgun anymore. Used to use Rem. 1100 smoothbore that shot the cheap Rem. or Win. rifled slugs plenty accurate enough to kill deer out to 100yds. I`m cheap and never saw the reason to spend $20 on five slugs:)

wpcexpert

WOW, I hadn't priced those yet. I was actually in market for a slug barrel right up until I saw your post. WOW. Why would someone pay 5+ dollars for one shot. Last I saw 50BMG doesn't cost that much per shot. Slugs in general are spendy per shot but 5+. No sir, not me.

Side Note:
I was very impressed with my ole Rem 870 yesterday. I had 6 boxes of 2 3/4 1oz Rem slugs a friend gave me months ago. I finally decided to shoot a few. 50yds with a single bead produced 3 holes touching with a Mod choke. Good enough for me.

Maybe for those not blessed with a rifle season and wish to reach out and touch 'em. But that's like 60+ bucks just to get sighted in and comfortable.

bodab

i shoot hornady sst slugs. 11-13 for a box of 5. they dont group as good as the others but they do a number on deer.