12 ga Warthog performed well

Creek Henry

I just got a Stevens 311 12 which I think was made about '85. I got it off gunbroker and thought it was going to an old POS but it turned out to be in fine shape and possible never fired. Choked mod/full with 2 triggers, it is a dumptruck of a gun. It is my new Ranch gun.

I just for back from firing it (at the family ranch). Both tubes hit to point of aim and my limbsaver pad I had from my old 511 fit Perfectly.

My brother named it the Warthog... No checkering, plain wood, but good case hardening. And, i have never used a 2 trigger gun before. I got a shot at a jack on the run and I honestly didn't notice the 2 different triggers. Using them is very natural.

So, there may not be many bargains to be had on an auction site but for less than $300, i did manage to get a very usable gun and just what I wanted. You just have to be patient and keep looking

bamaranger

311 doubles

The old 311's were workhorse, blue collar guns, and many were used/abused hard. My observation is that very few are out there in any type of decent shape, congratualations on finding a good one.

Lots of my pals in high school hunted one, and my Dad had one in 16 ga for a while. I can't remember anybody complaining about reliability or not consistently shooting to point of aim with both barrels.

I suspect they were popular as they offered the advantage of a two shot repeater (over a single barrel) but were perhaps more affordable than a good pump. There's the whole separate choke, separate load thing, but I doubt any of my teenage pals ever considered that.

FITASC

it is a dumptruck of a gun

And you're being very kind with that description!

I own the "uptown cousin", the BSE in 20 gauge. Thought I was all that, until I held a Spanish SxS that was holding a wand as opposed to a 4x4.

Creek Henry

The shooting to POA was nice. I have a laser bore sighter that showed the left barrel pointing a lot to the right. Actually firing it proved what I was hoping... That the chokes and barrel contour matter more than the breech alignment. So, bonus, imo. My last 2 O/U both were poorly regulated and I wound up brooming them as I couldn"t hit with either consistantly.