12 GA HD Slug Recommendations.......

Zebulon

I run several 870P's and I sense a need to turn these guns into short-medium range rifles....I'm looking at effective 100 yard range Shotgun/Slug combinations. All 870's are 18 and 20" IC barrels. Please offer your best opinions and recommendations. I'm teachable.....Thanks very much....Zebulon

mcubed4130

:) You are actually asking a question, that ends up asking more questions.

HD = home defense - most people associate with inside your home defense. But you state 100yards effective range, which means you are more or less saying "homestead on 9acres or so - defense".

If you are attempting to setup a shotgun for both inside home, and homestead defense. You choices are very easy.

A. #00 buck for inside your home (for potentially less over-penetration than slugs (i.e. you only go through about 3 1/2 walls if you miss vs. slugs you go through about 6+ walls if you miss http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm). - effective to about ~10 yards smooth bore (although I can get 15 yards with certain ammo brands from mine - after lots of ammo testing on my 18.5" smooth), perhaps as far as ~20 yards with the improved choke (I haven't tried myself as my Improved Choke barrel is 28" not a HD setup).
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Articles.asp?a=Hunting/Choke-Tubes-Explained&Meida_id=20

B. 1oz - 2 3/4" rifled slugs for easy reach out to about 100yards.

Since you are also saying a defense scenario - you will want a fast acquisition sights, so: Pick one.

1. Ghost rings http://www.xssights.com/store/pix/catalog/shotgun/shotgun1.jpg
2. Fiber optics (front & rear example: http://www.securityandsafetysupply.com/media/night_vision_images/truglo_n_2.JPG
3. holographic http://www.anchortex.com/graphics/eotech/550.jpg

Myself I generally keep my sidesaddle on the shotgun loaded with mostly #00 buck. Then I keep an ammo pouch with slugs near the gun. As fate would have it, the best #00 buck for my gun happens to also be in a RED plastic shell, vs. the slugs I like are in a CLEAR plastic shell, so it's easy to determine which slugs I'm loading as well. :)

Have fun.

-M3

banditt007

as for slugs you have to buy a bunch and see what the gun likes. i hear many people having good luck w/ the 1oz breneke 'knock out' (K.O.) slugs...what helps is they are also some of the cheapest.

liliysdad

I shoot a LOT of slugs, and my 870 prefers the cheap Remington Sluggers and the Remington Tru-Balls. Either will clover leaf three shots at 75yds.

superfast61821

Can't find them every where but the Brenneke Light tactical home defense loads are amazingly accurate and don't cost alot plus they are a very low recoiling round. which for me equals bang, cha-cha bang cha-cha bang instead of bang oww, cha-cha bang, oww screw this.

Syntax360

I also love the Brenneke offerings. For home defese, though, a hunting/hollowpoint sabot slug would probably fit the bill nicely. I've fired a few made by Remington from my smooth-bore and they were still extremely accurate out to 30 yards without any rifling, but I can't speak for 100yards. I would definitely test it first. Also, I can't speak for the exact penetration stats, but I would be flat-out stunned if it didn't create a horrific wound channel AT LEAST 12" in jello. I don't suppose anyone has tested these slugs on gel? :D

mcubed4130

On the slugs side, I tested with Remington, Winchester X, Wolf, Brenneke KO, and Brenneke Black Magic Magnums.

Brenneke KO is my favorite slug. However, my local gun guy - has be convinced I need to try Fiocchi, so we'll see...

But for now Brenneke KO all the way... and they are in-expensive too! ;) abcoutdoors.com - usually has them for $2.30/box.

-M3

Lee Lapin

One more vote for Brenneke KOs- they shoot well in several different shotguns here. I prefer them to soft lead hunting type slugs simply because they are made from a hard lead alloy with sharp shoulders, they cut neat cookie-cutter holes and penetrate deeply.

And they don't cost an arm and a leg either.

lpl/nc

Zebulon

I've read this thread excitedly since it started...I always end up getting the best information here. You guys are the best....Thanks all! While I'm at it, my usual on-line guys don't carry these...would someone like to recommend a source for buying a sleeve or two of them on-line...anyone you like? Thanks in advance....Zeb

Zebulon

Thank you M3.....I did miss it, but only because I was focusing on the slug itself, not the source. I'll check them out. No slight intended...I'm just old, tired, and exceedingly slow....I sincerely appreciate your help.....Thank you......Zeb

Zebulon

roy....you're right....as I reread my initial inquiry, I realize I mistated my case. What I should have said was that I was looking for a slug that was 100 yd capable in the event that I needed to press my HD shotguns into 100yd service. That is a possibility in certain events that I don't like to consider, but do. I'm at an age where I want my defenses simple but effective without buying more guns (rifles) that will soon go to some local dealer for pennies on the dollar upon my passing. Sorry for the poor choice of words. Zeb

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
There's no ineffective 12 gauge slugs. For smoothbore use, try the various "Rilfed" slugs and Brenekkes.

KO Brenekkes have been my slug of choice for a while. A number of Eastern Shore Whitetails have been KO'd by me. They also shoot into less than 4" at 100 yards from a rest from my best slug shooter 870.

Big Don

We shoot slugs every month at our combat/practical weapons matches. I've shot a variety of brands and have found the Wolf to be effective and inexpensive. The S&B work well too but tend to cost more. The Wolf slugs are made in Germany and are far more accurate than I am:eek: (I shoot a Benelli with ghost ring sights)
I too have a Sidesaddle and load four 00 buck rounds, base down and two slugs, base up, with a black "X" on the base so there is no confusion as to what is going into the chamber, either in daylight or low light conditions. (Learned that lesson on the range when I wanted a slug and loaded a buck:( )

roy reali

Re:zebulon

Message understood! I just thought you were going to be in a defensive situation that might require a 100 yard shot. Personally, some folks need to be picked off any range. But DA's usually see things differently.

Thoreau

Hi

I wanted to thank you guys for posting info on brenneke ko rounds and also http://www.abcoutdoors.com/. I have been searching for proper slugs for my smooth bore mossberg 590, and this seems to fit the bill perfectly. Cheapest price on the best slugs for my unrifled mossberg. Thank you again.