115gr or 124 grain in Glock 26

garryc

I have a Glock 26 Gen 4. So far I've shot this gun very little. All I've shot was 124 grain bullets, Berry's bullets both flat and hollow base.

I have plenty of those bullets but I'm about to order some more.

Does your 26 prefer the 124's or the 115's?

Pgfins

Either one. I would use which ever one you use for your sd. I prefer 124gr so typically will use that but have shot 100's of rounds with 115. The gun will eat either with no issue.

TailGator

I have shot plenty of each through my gen 3 G26 and both function fine. I am hard pressed to tell the difference when shooting them. Lots of folks say the 124 grain bullets perform better, and the price difference is negligible. If you want to play around with a different bullet, that is part of the fun of reloading, but if you have a recipe you like I doubt you are going to be impressed with the difference either way in changing bullets.

9x19

I live in the deep south, rarely any heavy winter jackets to worry about, so I carry 115 JHPs in my guns without worrying about any lack of penetration.

FairWarning

I haven't bought anything for 9mil other than 124 gr in probably 10 years. To me, the whole point of 9mm is good velocity, minimal recoil, and quick follow-up shots. I think it's the best around weight and there are fantastic bullet choices available.

dlc0027

I had a G26 from 2002-2007 and another one since 2010. I've never had any kind of failure with any round (115, 124, and 147).

jglsprings

I'm a heavy for caliber kind of guy...

So with the choices you gave me the 124 gr.

My preferred bullet is 147gr in all my 9mm guns.

Same for 40 S&W, 45acp.

My exception to the rule is my 44 mag. I don't feel the need for anything above 240gr.

YMMV - your Glock will run all of them fine. Find what YOU shoot best. That's all that matters.

stormyone

You want penetration. Short barrels sometimes suffer when it comes to launching a bullet that will penetrate deep enough. Heavier bullets penetrate deeper than lighter bullets. Therefore, I like to shoot 147gr in my Glock 26.

bamaranger

preference

I'm believing that since the OP is shooting Berry's (plated) already, he is inquiring about practice /paper punching bullets for reloading.

The 115's are a bit cheaper over the long run, 2-3 bucks per 1000. That's not much, but is money that could be spent otherwise, ....primers, match fees, whatever. The 124 is the classic 9mm weight, and I wanted to go that route with our 9mm's, but the couple of bucks saved lured me to 115's.

I can't tell the difference between 115-124, but lots of guys tell me that 147 can be loaded to "make major" and be a good bit softer to shoot than the lighter weight slugs for match use.

Auto5

Many of the subcompact 9s seem to function better with heavier bullets. The smaller guns have lighter slides and stronger recoil springs. The heavier bullets seem to impart the necessary momentum for reliable functioning. Your results may vary.

Ozzieman

I replaced the barrel on my 26 so I can shoot lead. The wolf barrel likes heavier bullets. With 5 years of use with the original barrel I liked 124’s better and that is only for reloading. Seemed a little easier to get the bullets straight in the case. I used XP’s for the most part.
Like others have said, shoot whatever you can get. The 26 if loaded correctly will eat anything. I use 124 Penn lead for all practice shooting.

Considering that the OP has stated that he is shooting Berry's plated bullets, comparison against any commercial load or reloads with any other bullet are entirely meaningless.

And made MORE meaningless because he hasn't mentioned what velocity he loads them to or what powder he uses.

Ozzieman

I didn't realize there was a rule against meaningless inputs to a thread that others think are meaningless, so I will attempt to be meaningless lest often so others don't think I am meaningless and make meaningless negative comments.

Shadi Khalil

I generally shoot 115 for practice because that's what Walmart has and carry 124's for SD because the Internet told me to.

Last edited: