115 grs FMJ vs. 95 grs SP

Which bullet is more effective?

• 115 grs FMJ

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • 95 grs SP

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Silvanus

I'm not limited to those two rounds/designs, I'm just curious to know which one would be a better choice for self-defence.

Keltyke

I'm just curious to know which one would be a better choice for self-defence.

The one that hits a vital spot. Bullet PLACEMENT is MUCH better than bullet selection.

Practice, then load with one of the popular brands. No one wants to get shot with anything.

That being said, my fav 9mm is a Corbon 115 gr. DPX

Silvanus

The one that hits a vital spot. Bullet PLACEMENT is MUCH better than bullet selection.

Practice, then load with one of the popular brands. No one wants to get shot with anything.

Thanks, but I'm aware of the fact that shot placement is more important. My favourite caliber is 9mm Luger after all:rolleyes: Like I said, I'm just curious which one most people would choose if those two were the only choices.

Keltyke

OK, then my answer would be check the ballistics tests. The one that combines the best penetration with the best expansion with the hardest hit would be my choice. That's probably gonna be a trade-off since usually no one bullet will win all three categories. :)

Boris Bush

The soft point is not going to expand so you are going to pretty much be shooting ball no matter what you stoke that smoke wagon with.

Being that, I would go 115...............

Dr_2_B

I'm certainly no expert but in pistol velocities, getting into those single-digit grain weights always seems iffy to me. I'd probably go with the 115.

vox rationis

The soft point is not going to expand so you are going to pretty much be shooting ball no matter what you stoke that smoke wagon with.

Being that, I would go 115...............

I agree. These two would produce essentially the same wound tract, unless maybe the soft hit bone, and then it might deform more, but it would probably also be more prone for deflection due to its light weight. Honestly I think that they are both quite sub-standard for self defense.

Boris Bush

So very true SOVT! If I were to use ball I would prefer a 124 at 1200fps or faster. I can tell you from experience that 124s at that speed will crush alot of bone......

I have used 115s but not that often and if I did it was Winchester Q4172. That load is on the hot side and is the same length as the 124 with a punted base

roman3

The soft point might deform/flatten a bit more than the FMJ however a 95 grain 9mm :barf:

The 95 grain soft point would be a great choice in a 380ACP but in a 9?

If this was the only choice I would go with the 115FMJ but agree with the above...124 Grain FMJ would be a better choice.

Silvanus

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. I didn't know if the SP bullet is supposed to mushroom or if it is just cut off/open at the top to reduce the weight to 95 grs.