1100 Rem Choke Questions

lev83

I have an older Remington 1100 that has a fixed choke Improved Cylinder. I love the shotgun and the improved cylinder choke fills most of my needs ( i.e. skeet/trap/bird hunting ) but I still need a full choke shotgun at times. I have considered purchasing another gun but recently discovered the Rem Choke shotgun barrel. Nevertheless, I still have a couple of questions;
1. Since my shotgun is chambered for 2.75" shells am I still limited to this once I have changed the barrel?
2. If my shell choices are limited to 2.75" what would be a good shell for Turkey hunting?
3. Where can I get this barrel the cheapest, new or used is of little concern to me?

rantingredneck

1) Yes. Unless your receiver is a Magnum receiver you cannot shoot 3" shells simply by changing barrels. You can use a 3" barrel but you must keep to 2 3/4" shells. May be best to look for a 23/4" only barrel so there will be no confusion for those who come behind you.

2) I'd personally go with one of the premium loads in 4,5,or 6. As long as you know your pattern and what it will do at given ranges you'll be fine.

3) Look around the for sale sections here and THR. Barrelexchange.com for used seems to have a good selection/prices. e-gunparts.com for used. Midway or Brownells for new.

mikenbarb

In Cabela's they offer an 1100 barrel for a 2 3/4" reciever that allows you to shoot 3" steel shot ONLY and NOT for 3" lead shot. It says in book, "1100 steel shot barrel- Used with non magnum receiver, You can shoot 2 3/4 magnum lead or 3" mag steel shotshells. DO NOT USE 3"MAG. LEAD." That is quoted next to the listing of barrels offered by Remington. It is listed on pg. 75 in their 2007 shooting catalog. It has Rem Choke and is priced at 199.00 for a 26" and 219.99 for a 30". I think it be cheaper to either have a gunsmith put a Poly-Choke on it or send out to Briley Chokes and have them thread the barrel for screw in tubes. If your looking for a good deal on a barrel then check out e-gun parts.

lev83

So what about just picking up a Remington Fixed Full Choke barrel I have found one in excellent conditon for $90 shipped?

Last edited:
Details

Let's try using a bit of logic.

An 1100 uses a mature and reliable design that has many parts little changed even from the predecessors that also had some versions available as magnums.

If you have a standard frame with a 2-3/4" barrel using the standard 2 holes in the gas cylinder and shoot high brass heavy loads through that barrel, nobody is going to say that shooter is abusive to the gun. Sure, there are less abusive situations if we look at just the impact inside the gun, but guns are meant to be used, and used with the most effective load deemed necessary. If that happens to be a modern heavy turkey load (such as 1-5/8 oz. at 1250 fps), that is still within the designed parameters. All that pressure is being applied to the mechanism through 2 gas holes.

Now look at that same frame with only one change: a 3" barrel of any type, steel shot or whatever, just as long as it has one gas hole. What is a heavy turkey load for 3"? About 1-3/4 oz. at 1300 fps, and all of that pressure hits the mechanism through ONE hole. How in any way, shape, or form, can that be considered abusive to a non-magnum 1100 frame assembly, if the other situation is not considered abuse? There is absolutely no strength difference to the frame or internal parts, and the barrels are of identical construction, save the chamber length and a gas hole. The action bar (inertia) sleeve is heavier for the magnum, but that is not because it is needed to reduce abuse to the magnum frame: it is there to increase the action reliability when using lighter high-brass loads (2-3/4" varieties), since one hole of gas bleed needs more mass to keep the parts moving against the action spring for the full stroke. The gas only has a small amount of the total stroke length to apply pressure and get the parts in motion, so more inertia can aid reliability.

Logic prevails: any other conclusion doesn't match reality.

Don't take anything I say as encouraging any shooter to go against any manufacturer recommendations, but I have already gotten assurances that I have the correct answer here and now.

kirbythegunsmith

island66

lev83:

If you purchase a 3" chambered barrel for your 1100, you can, indeed, fire 3" shells with no issue as long as you follow the instructions for your barrel. The 1100 steel shot barrel to which Mikenbarb is referring is restricted to 3" steel mags only on your "standard" receiver. The concern there is that a 3" lead load may produce higher pressures, increase bolt velocity, and maybe break parts...eventually. However, you can install a new magnum action bar sleeve (aka inertia sleeve) and fire 3" lead mags all day long. Let us know if you have further questions.

Jason

mikenbarb

So all I have to do is change out the sleeve and barrel to shoot 3" mags without a problem? What about hulls hanging up with a smaller eject port? Im asking because I would like to use mine for 3" lead.

island66

The ejection port is the same size on the "standard" and "magnum" receivers. You really shouldn't have any problems.

Jason

mikenbarb

Im kinda lost,, Do I need a 1 or 2 gas ports in the barrel to shoot 3" lead out of a standard reciever? If I use a 2 what would it do to the gun in regards to breaking things?

island66

First off...don't worry so much about standard receiver vs. magnum receiver. A 12 gauge 1100 is a 12 gauge 1100 regardless of the size of the chamber. The round this gun is set up to fire depends solely on the configuration of the barrel. If you buy a 3" chambered 1100 barrel, you can fire 3" shells with no issue other than changing out the action sleeve. If you have questions, my recommendation would be to call Remington and discuss it with them.

Jason