10mm

trustygun25

Hey guys im gonna take my family on a hog hunt and i will probably carry my savage 10fp .308 and my Glock 23, I have been thinking about getting a Glock 20 to carry while hog hunting just in case a hog gets to close, but i was wondering is a 10mm really that much more powerful than a good jhp 40? Ive seached the internet high and low and get mixed review that say 10mm is so much better then some say is not worth buying a 10mm if you have a 40.

glockcompact

Both excellent weapons. Roughly 625 ft/lbs vs 450 ft/lbs + or -. The 10mm has more power and a 40s&w will never be a 10mm. Whether it's worth it or not is up to your budget. If that hog charges you that's something you'll have to ask yourself.

Cheapshooter

Most major ammo companies offer 10MM loads that are closer to the reduced FBI loads than the original Norma load of 170gr bullet @ 1300 fps, or the 200 gr @ 1200 fps.
The one exception is the Winchester Silvertip 175 gr @ 1290 fps.
Buffalo Bore, and Double Tap offer some full power loads that even exceed the original Norma loads.
A click on each of these offerings will take you to a page with full details of each round.
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...3&categoryId=7550&categoryString=653***691***

I have been thinking about getting a Glock 20 to carry while hog hunting just in case a hog gets to close, but i was wondering is a 10mm really that much more powerful than a good jhp 40?
Hey, sounds to me like as good of an excuse to buy a new gun as any! :D

alabama

I have a glock 23 and a glock 20. I can tell you the 10mm with full power loads is worth it. I have shot deer with 10mm .40 and .45.The 10mm seems to do alot better. Its very powerfull for a auto pistol.

RWK

i frequently shoot my Smith 610 revolver, which accommodates both 10mm and .40 S&W rounds. Concisely stated, there is no comparison; the 10mm is MUCH more powerful than the .40 S&W, much like a .357 magnum in comparison to a .38 Special.

C Philip

I have a Glock 29 I use as my woods carry gun. Full power 10mm is equal to full power .357 mag ~ 1300fps for 180gr projectile.

flyboyjake

the 10mm is about 100 ft lbs better than the 357 mag. It is quite a venerable cartridge. It is not to be compared to the .40sw, or any other for that matter. In my eyes, the only cartridge id prefer over a 10mm for a woods gun is a .45 super, but even in that case, the 10mm may have a penetration advantage due to its smaller diameter.

Berry's MfG

I own a Glock 29, Tanfoglio Witness Limited, and an EAA compact all in 10mm. my favorite auto caliber by far. It is closer to the .41 mag than a .357 mag in power factor, would be a great hog gun. Two years ago the Finnish outfitted some of their mountain troops with the Glock 29 to help with the occasional polar bear incursions.

glockcompact

I guess ill get a glock 20 but I hate the fat grip on the 45 10mm glocks

I understand. There quite fat for me too. I sold my G21 for that exact reason (before the 21SF came out.) It was too large for me for a carry weapon. However I still have my G20. I never held a G21/20SF model. From what I understand it is a considerable difference. You might consider holding out for the Gen4 G21/20. I believe they should be on the shelves in the next month or so. Then you can get the larger mag release too. Just a thought. You should go handle a 21SF and see what you think.

AZAK

but i was wondering is a 10mm really that much more powerful than a good jhp 40?

Don't really know about the jhp for hogs. (Not too many up here in the 49th state that I have ever seen.) I would be thinking penetration as the primary factor. (Again, never seen a wild hog up here, so take that for what it is worth...) Maybe someone who has hunted and shot one, or more, of the little buggers can chime in with actual experience.

But, yes there is a bit of a difference from the .40 S&W to the "full house" 10mm auto.

downtowndb

Ammo cost

The cost of 10mm is much higher than the 40 s&w. I guess you might think how much you want to shoot it when bores aren't charging you. So how much more will you practice with 40 v 10. A well placed 22 is better than a miss with a 50 cal. Are you confused now because I sure am.

testuser

If you're a reloader, then the cost of 10mm is virtually the same as .40 S&W. I figure I'm paying around $10.00 per 50 round box of FMJ 10mm. That includes shipping/handling/haz mat fees and taxes. The only downside are the limited number of pistols in 10mm, essentially the 1911, Glock and the EAA. If the Glock 20 fits your hand, then start rolling your own and forget about the .40 S&W.

WESHOOT2

one small point

Testing the Winchester 175g Silvertip in numerous and varied platforms showed me its actual velocity averages 1200fps.

It is still a very very good rd.

jmortimer

"the 10mm is about 100 ft lbs better than the 357 mag"
Wrong - you can get 800 ft lbs out of a .357 mag and 750 from 10mm
"Full power 10mm is equal to full power .357 mag"
Wrong 1,400 fps for .357 and 783 ft lbs and 1,350 and 728 from the 10mm
Stop comparing the 10mm to revolvers - it's less gun. That does not mean I don't want one but here again we have misguided information. The 10mm is not a death ray, it is fantastic cartridge in its own right.

Last edited:

jmortimer

"Yeah, but you've still got a little 9mm hole"
I use hard cast bullets so you got me there but that is why I use an 11.5 mm .45 Colt.