10mm Witness Extractor and Slide Stop Problems

November

Since I bought my Witness 10mm NIB last year, it rarely got through a full mag without choking with a spent case caught parallel in the ejection port (not stovepiped). I took a closer look and noticed that the extractor was putting no tension on the headcase at all. Anyway, last night I removed the extractor to see what's what and noticed that it says "40" on it's underside. If you've ever seen a Witness extractor, there is a "hump" that stops the extractor from pushing too far into the breech face area. Mine wasn't going in far enough, so I filed/dremeled it down until I got good cartidge tension. Problem solved. I wonder if Tanfoglio uses .40 extractors on their 10mms and this somehow causes a problem (wider slide of the 10mm)? Maybe "40" is just some kind of production code. I don't know. I also noticed that with hot loads and even with regular target loads, the slide stop would engage prematurely. I checked the clearance between the cartridge as it feeds up the magazine and there is plenty of room between it and the slide stop in the magwell. Also, I am not accidentally bumping it with my thumb during firing. Does anyone have a suggestion for solving the premature slide stop engagement? Has anyone else had this problem?

scottys1

The only dimensional difference between .40 and 10mm ammo is the length of the case. I would think the same extractor could be used for both. Obviously you have solved your problem by increasing extractor tension slightly. :D
I don't know about the slide stop problem. You have already checked what I would have suggested. My Witness is a 9mm. I have nearly 30,000 rounds through this gun and its reliability has been outstanding. The only things I have done are add an ambi safety (I'm left handed), replace the trigger with one with an overtravel stop, and changed the springs (more out of guilt than necessity).

bearkiller

just fyi

I've had my 10mm EAA witness since May 2004. I consider it very reliable so far. I've ran about 300rds through it w/o a single jam. While out shooting in the desert temps ran about 100+ w/direct sun. My S&W 686 choked after 1 box rem factory 38's and less than 12 near full house .357's. 686 couldnt extract the cases, probable pressure problem with handloads (which shoot fine in GA when its hot). The EAA witness shot factory & handloads without any jams in the 100+ degree heat. I was pleasantly surprised. :)

Casp_A

Probably 10, maybe 11, considering that the 9mm is 13 and I'm pretty sure the're all the same size frame.

What's interesting is, I heard somewhere that the FN P-35, CZ-75, Witness, and Jericho (and Uzi Eagle and Baby Eagle) pistols all take the same basic magazine in 9mm.

November

Standard capacity for the Witness 10mm is 15 rounds (the 10mm, 45acp, and 38 super all use a larger frame than the 9mm). I'm hoping the ban sunsets.

Casp_A

Standard capacity for the Witness 10mm is 15 rounds (the 10mm, 45acp, and 38 super all use a larger frame than the 9mm). I'm hoping the ban sunsets.

Oh... sometimes being wrong can lead to pleasant surprises! :D

November

If the AWB does sunset, I'll probably get the G20 as well (along with a pile of 15 rounders). I'm happy with the ergos of the Witness, but I don't have a Glock and for me, this would be the one to get.

FirstFreedom

Yeah, November, the model 20 is the only glock I still have, and I like it, particularly since I use the frame in the Mech-Tech for it. I still want the Witness for some reason - mainly just as a 10mm afficionado, but the price is still a little steep - like $950 MSRP new? Less in reality, but still seems a little high, compared to the other witnesses.

November

FirstFreedom,
My fullsize 10mm Witness was $340 NIB and they can be found new cheaper than that. These are bargain guns (not $950 MSRP :eek: ). I like to buy guns cheap with good value. That explains my multiple Rugers. Hope this info helps you get your first Witness 10mm. I've enjoyed mine even more with the .45 conversion kit. Lots of stuff at www.savvysurvivor.com if you're interested in the Witness stuff. Good luck.