10mm Self Defense Ammo

Catfishman

I'm trying to decide on self defense ammo. For years I've used Double Tap 135 grain. But I have decided that they under penetrate at just over 10" ballistic gel.

For this discussion let's just pretend over penetration and bear attacks don't exist.

I like big and fast bullets, that's why I bought a 10mm. All reasonably sized handguns are underpowered in my opinion. So, for me the 10mm is just the least inadequate round.

But I don't know what 10mm bullets perform the best.

I'd like to hear opinions on what 10mm round is the best combination of size, speed and bullet construction.

WESHOOT2

civilian SD advice

If you are shooting people the 135g DoubleTap choice is correct.

People are not gelatin.

WESHOOT2

fair to add

If you seek more bullet weight, most highly recommend Winchester 175g Silvertip.

Tested in numerous platforms, av velocity 1200fps.

Mike_Fontenot

I carry Nosler DoubleTaps in my 10mm Kimber Eclipse. I alternate 150gr, 180gr, and 200gr in all three of my carry mags ... I like to "hedge my bets".

jmr40

I'm not a fan of the lightweights in 10mm. I would be looking at something in the 155-165 gr range for human threats. 180-200 gr bullets for larger concerns.

Mike_Fontenot

"I'm not a fan of the lightweights in 10mm. I would be looking at something in the 155-165 gr range for human threats. 180-200 gr bullets for larger concerns."

But some of the larger human threats, wearing heavy winter clothing, are not all that different than some 4-legged threats. There's no one cartridge that is perfect for both a scantily-clad 110-lb bad girl AND a winter-clothed 250-lb bad guy. I think the whole "excessive penetration" worry is naive: missing the target produces MUCH MORE threat to innocent people in the vicinity.

I mix heavy and light bullets, because I can't predict which will best stop the threat in any particular (unpredictable) situation ... sometimes a lighter bullet with well less than 12" penetration will best stop the threat, because it can do a LOT more damage over the lesser distance that it travels. Hedge your bets.

Old 454

I load my own.

Extream plated 200 grain RNFP
12.7 Gr. AA#9
Winchester LPP

I am looking for some Hp points for this load. Will prolly get some Hornady XTP/Mags

RickB

I don't think you get much of an advantage over .40 unless you use heavy bullets. I loaded some 135s @ 1400+, but I think 200 @ 1100 makes more sense.
I'm also concerned about how many .40" bullets on the market are intended for velocities higher than what can be achieved with a .40 S&W? Are most factory 10mm loads not much hotter than .40 because the bullets won't hold together if driven 200-300fps faster?

bamaranger

heavy

I'm not a particular fan of lightweights either, and run the 10mm with 175 Silvertips in the SD mode. I'd not hesitate with the 180 Federal's either.

We probably all agree that handgun rounds are borderline as stoppers, and some compelling discussion and evidence exists that lack of penetration is fairly common in handgun wounds, resulting in marginal stops.

I thought the 10mm/135 pretty formidable, in the same league as the .357/125,with similar numbers, which is/was well thought of, till some Xrays of handgun wounds and accompanying lecture swayed me the other direction.

Not all threats are square on, and t-shirt clad only. Also, my G20 w/ its fixed sights, prints the light bullets so low that a sight blade change would be necessary for the 135's to get on target. Thus sighted, it would be worthless with heavy slugs. Which pretty much negates the utility of the full house 10mm. Unable to use heavy slugs, I, might as well carry a hi-vel mid range caliber like the .357 Sig or possibly the .38 Super.

JERRYS.

I have some old stock DT that chromos true, this hasn't been the case with their more recent products. they seem to fall 150 fps short on average....

the 13gr. @ 1600 fps is plenty. if the need for les speed and more weight the 165gr. @ 1400 fps is right on the money.

youre in Mississippi, we can forget grizzlies and the like so no need for the 200grainers.

this all said, the Win STJP is listed as 175gr. @ 1290 fps. if they actually got that fast they'd almost be worth the kidney you have to sell to buy a stock load for shooting then carrying. in actuality the ones I had chrono'ed got an average of 1188 fps. for $50/50 rounds I will pass.

Underwood is affordable, good Q.C. and true to box flap claims. that's where I'd put my money for 10mm ammo.

agtman

I'm not a fan of the lightweights in 10mm.

Neither am I. And in factory ammo, avoid the water-down stuff as well.

Except for the super fast, special-use 135gn 10mm load, which DT pioneered for urban dwellers in thin-walled apartments & condos, you want to stick with the "heavy & fast" loads - that means projectiles in the 180gn-to-200gn range. With today's more advanced designs (e.g., among others, Hornady's XTPs, Rem's Golden Sabers), expansion and deep penetration are virtually guaranteed when these bullets are driven to velocities in the upper range of the 10mm's energy curve.

I would be looking at something in the 155-165 gr range for human threats. 180-200 gr bullets for larger concerns.

Actually, the 180gn-200gn will suffice for both the 2-legged & 4-legged predators (short of polar bears). The possibility of encountering intermediate barriers between you and the target, which is not just glass, wood or metal, but can include the thick, layered cold-weather clothing a bad guy is wearing, favor the heavier 10mm slugs driven fast.

I wouldn't piddle with the "middle-weights" (150gns, 155gns, 165gns), unless you're just reloading them for money-saving practice or plinking, although I did really like DT's old 165gn Golden Saber HP load. Definitely a full-throttle load and very accurate.

Last edited: