10mm or 45 super

RandyV

I know all aguements against auto, which caliber for carry in Alaska for cross country sking, archery hunting and fishing. Moose and bear possiable antonist. Thanks all. Have had a 475 lindbaugh,and 454 to heavy.

Mylhouse

Who said anything about SECURITY?

Randy just wanted to know what would give him a better chance of survival against a pissed off bear or moose. I'd rather have a 10mm or .45 Super than no gun at all.

Not that I'm any kind of expert, but I recommend the two-fisted approach. 10mm in one hand (pref. Glock 20), pepper spray in the other.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Since both are darn near ballistically equivalent (at least relative to the critters you referenced) I'd take the one that holds more rounds. G20 loaded with Cor-Bon 200gr Penetrators.

jtduncan

I'm with Tamara. G20 on my hip for big furries and furless bipods. who knows, maybe you can have some caribou ribs for camp meat!

BUT I would hate for your gun to blow up on you with the minimal safety margins associated with the Supers. Not putting those in my guns.

JiminCA

Used to live in AK myself.

Take a look at the 460 Rowland at Clark's site. Ballistics similar to the 44 mag. I don't know 45 super ballistics. They may be similar or even better.

You want a solid lead bullet. Penetration is key.

The Clark conversion was reviewed in Am Handgunner some time ago with reloading tips also.

I go there every summer and am tempted to get one as I'm fastest with a 1911. Easier to carry than a .44 mag also.

All that said, .44 mag is pretty marginal against mr Brown Bear. Better than nothin though. Sad fact is that a rifle is hard to keep close enough to be available when you need it, especially if you're fishing, etc.

brouhaha

blades67...

That's why you use a USP .45...no conversions needed on it for .45 Super. The recoil system is more than strong enough.

Keith J

Go with the Super

Or one of the equivalents......and get a long barrel on a Para-Ord. I think 15 rounds is plenty and the Glock no offers no advantage.

If a 10 mm slug sounds great, look at the .40 Super. If raw muzzle energy is important, the .460 Rowland is king.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Keith J,

I keep looking and looking, but I can't find the high-sectional-density 200gr .40 Super loads. We're not trying to give the bear a hickey, here.

[edited because Tamara's too much of a dummy to notice that Triton does load a 200gr .40 Super now.]