10MM options

Inspector3711

I'm window shopping (read dreaming) for the next toy. I'm set on a 10mm autoloader, especially since I'm set up to reload it already.

I like the EAA Witness Match as an option but I keep reading snippets about durability issues. I've also read that customer support can be sketchy. I have yet to try one out.

The Witness is right there towards the high end of what I figure to spend ($600 tops) . I'm not totally opposed to buying a Glock, but none that I've shot (9,s 40's and one 45) really totally won me over.

I've looked at Dan Wesson and would definitely head down that road if I could afford it.

Years ago I shot a Irwindale Arms Javelina and had a great time with it, but one in good shape is spendy. I bought a used Blackhawk .357 after that for $175 instead. I think I was making $8 an hour then.

Anyway, it looks like I'll have to order anything I want unless I go for the Glock.

I know S&W made a couple of 10MM's (one a revolver) but I'm not sure I want to go used... If I did I might lean towards a Dan Wesson instead.

This gun will be part range toy and part backup for deer and elk hunting...

Anyone have advice to lend?

OldCorp

There's still some deals out there on S&W model 10xx series autos. They're built like a tank and handle full strength 10mm loads fine. I've got a S&W M1076 identical to what was my duty weapon fron 1990 to 1999. Shoots great.

Also, for bit more money, you can find Colt Delta Elites. I love a 1911 design and I use one of these in SS (with some mods) as a 'woods gun'.
Usually gunbroker will have listings for these models.
Have fun looking and good luck.

Sevens

I have two-- a S&W 1006 and a Glock 29 (the subcompact 10). The Glock is my carry gun, the S&W keeps watch over the house and is much, much more the range toy. While I do practice with the Glock because it's prudent to practice with your carry gun, it's just not as friendly to a reloader. The "why" is two-fold. First, Glocks aren't fond of lead/non-jacketed bullets, and secondly, the loose chamber on the Glock definitely gives the brass more of a workout.

Of course, both of those "features" of Glock pistols are quickly and easily mitigated by the purchase of an aftermarket barrel (about a hundred bucks) and this option also makes for quick caliber changes on many different Glocks. It's a good pistol, but if you don't love Glocks, a caliber can't make you love a Glock. Truth be told, I bought my 29 because it's the only polymer sub-compact 10mm made by anyone. If there were and XD or an M&P in 10mm and in this size, I would have considered either. I'd likely prefer an XD over this Glock, but this one does work awfully well.

As for the idea of buying used, I can understand the hesitation... but I'll be the one to break it to you: If you completely look past the used gun market just on principle across the board, you are going to miss some incredible guns over your shooting lifetime. Now I certainly don't mind if there's one less guy out there buying up the used goodies, but I digress.

In any case, the S&W 10xx series might not be the best place for you to try your hand at your first used purchase. NOT because it's not a great gun (they are incredible guns) just that you'd have to really wander in to a helluva deal on one. Lately, the market has realized how good they are and how they aren't ever coming back and it seems to have priced them accordingly. While folks do luck out and fall in to them for 3, 4 hundred on occasion, most of them go for 600-800 and up.

There's another option for new 10mm pistols-- Bob Serva and Fusion Firearms. These are more expensive than most others, but gagagaga, I love 'em. These things are gorgeous.

Inspector3711

Oh i'm not turned off by used, but i'm more interested in new for a few reasons. I like a warranty, most of what I see used around here has been abused, and with a semi-auto I'm just more reluctant then I would be with a revolver... More moving parts moving faster means more wear in my mind. This may not be 100% true, but it seems like it makes sense to me. I won't buy a used gun online and so I'm limited as far as that goes. I need to see it in person.

As far as reloading goes, I'm not a guy that pushes the limits on power. I'm looking for accuracy and cost savings. I'm currently putting 6.1 grains of HS-6 behind a 180 grain fmj with the .40sw for example. I do have a warmed up load for lighter hollow points but I don't use them often. I read up on the dangers of reloading 10mm already.

Webleymkv

Oh i'm not turned off by used, but i'm more interested in new for a few reasons. I like a warranty, most of what I see used around here has been abused, and with a semi-auto I'm just more reluctant then I would be with a revolver... More moving parts moving faster means more wear in my mind.

Fear not if you choose a used S&W as they stand behind their products above and beyond what one might expect. When I purchased my 1076 used, the decocker was not working. I returned the pistol to S&W and they repaired the decocker and fitted a new set of grips at no charge. So long as you don't blow it up with unsafe reloads or do something else stupid, S&W will take care of any problems you may have.

G-man 26

Too bad you don't like the Glock. I got a used G-20 for $300, and it's great. Just needed a good cleaning. If you can get around the poor grip angle and handling, its pretty accurate and darn near bullet proof.

Pun intended.

Skans

I have the EAA Witness Stock. It is substantially more expensive than the Witness Match, as it has some upgrades and a da/sa firing system. This is becoming one of my favorite guns - dont' have a ton of rounds through it yet, but it works flawlessly and I'm accurate with it.

It holds 15 round of 10mm and one in the chamber. It is a very well made gun and the hard chrome finishing is very attractive. I've ordered extra magazines for it directly from EAA (three months ago) and I've found their customer support to be friendly and great! I got my magazines and aluminum floor plates three days later. There are some decent aftermarket parts and accessories for it - I find it to be pretty well supported.

I think that the 10mm is becoming more popular and EAA is getting the recoginition that they deserve.

I've read the account of one guy here who has had problems with frames and slides cracking on several of his EAA 10mm's and keep that in the back of my mind as an alarming negative account of this platform.

Sevens

Oh i'm not turned off by used, but i'm more interested in new for a few reasons. I like a warranty, most of what I see used around here has been abused, and with a semi-auto I'm just more reluctant then I would be with a revolver... More moving parts moving faster means more wear in my mind. This may not be 100% true, but it seems like it makes sense to me. I won't buy a used gun online and so I'm limited as far as that goes. I need to see it in person.

As far as reloading goes, I'm not a guy that pushes the limits on power. I'm looking for accuracy and cost savings. I'm currently putting 6.1 grains of HS-6 behind a 180 grain fmj with the .40sw for example. I do have a warmed up load for lighter hollow points but I don't use them often. I read up on the dangers of reloading 10mm already.
Yep, since '89 or so (I think S&W handles it by serial number range), S&W handguns have a lifetime warranty regardless of who owns it. Though the pistol hasn't been made since '94, they service them. If you had a problem, they'd fix it. As for wear, I agree that there's lots of moving parts in a semi-auto, but it's my opinion that it's easier to inspect/replace key parts in a semi-auto than in a revolver. Things like end-shake or timing in a revolver are not items that can be fixed by calling up Wolf and buying a spring pack.

As for handloading, the .40 S&W is a much more "dangerous" than 10mm at the reloading bench. Similar pressure, but in a smaller space to operate giving a lot less room for error. The 10mm can be loaded up or down along a spectrum, that spectrum for the .40 is much smaller. Not that you can't safely reload .40 (of course you can), just that there's not as much room for error.

The biggest comparison of the two as far as reloading goes is, IMO, the availability of brass. .40 S&W brass: many metric tons of it everywhere. I think I have a tree out back that scatters it on my yard at the end of summer. 10mm on the other hand is an enthusiast's caliber... in comparing to 9, .40 and .45, almost nobody has a 10mm, and the few folks that do have them typically reload because the ammo is exspensive, scarce, and the selection is slim. Brass for the 10mm is not impossible to get, but it's not what I would call common. I could list 10 calibers that you might find laying on the ground at a public outdoor range and 10mm wouldn't be in that top 10.

No, 10mm brass isn't .43 Egyptian and not available anywhere... Starline and Winchester sell it as component brass, but it's not like there are bags of it and lots of 500 pieces once-fired available.

If I were you and a used Smith was not a candidate and a Glock was not in the running, I might sock away a little cash or dig in couch cushions and go the route of the Dan Wesson. What would be REALLY good for 10mm fans and really, all handgun shooters, would be if the big American gun makers gave the 10 another twirl and chambered the M&P, XD, et all for the 10. But I'm not holding my breath on that one just yet.

Sevens

Look at a Fusion (web site... I don't think anyone carries them) and perhaps the DW choice won't be quite as cut & dried.

The DW is gorgeous though, no doubt.
Know why?

The Fusion guy (Bob Serva) worked for DW and developed those pistols for them. Now, he's making what HE wants to make!

Chinny33

Glocks rock

Oh yea, a Glock 20 is awesome. I carry it as my "woods" gun if I am not taking my Redhawk .44mag.

If you have small hands....DONT GET THE G20. They have HUGE grips. Im 6'1'' and I LOVE how large the grips are. I put my kungfu grip on it and I let it rip. SUPER accurate even for HOT loads that I take for hunting.

No gun in the world can withstand the abuse and "torture" tests that Glocks have been put through. I have yet to be informed otherwise.

cnutco

I am thinking of a 1911 10mm or a G20sf... The Glock is cheaper and I like the double stack. Besides I have 1911 .45's.

Pappy John

I have a second gen G20 and a third gen G29, and don't plan to part with either one. Those big fat grips really help to spread the recoil evenly across the meat of your hand, so it doesn't punish the shooter.

That's the upside.

Of course, those big fat grips don't fit everyone.

That's the downside.

varoadking

I have a G20SF on order...

'Course, you could always get one of these. S&W made 150 other than this one...

guns005.jpg

S&W 1046