10mm Glock 29

Fivesense

Does anyone have the G29? If so, what are your general impressions?

I had the G20 and liked it; it was easy to shoot and very accurate. Does the G29 kick like a donkey?

cmdc

I have Gen3 SF G29 and G20 pistols, and the same models in Gen4. In my experience the 29 recoils a little more briskly, but is very manageable, even with full-power loads. I did upgrade the recoil springs in the Gen3s.

chris in va

FWIW...

A guy at our pistol matches has one. You know it's him because of the loud boom it makes and the flamethrower coming out the front. He's still near the bottom of the pack, and while multiple people have tried to help him move up, his flinch is so bad there's just no way he can get accurate shots in a timely manner.

Pgfins

Put 100 rounds at a rental range recently and loved it. It's similar imo to shooting the 357 sig round, big muzzle flash and big boom but surprisingly manageable. It's next on my list. You should see if you can find a range that you can rent one.

Big Shrek

Yeah, if you use it in pistol matches, you gotta load it down...
someone give the guy some Jerry Miculek vids where he explains 10mm ;)

Lprmcnit

G29

Id follow the advice about trying to do a rental. Seems like the opinions differ widely. My own experience is the G29 has a modest but manageable recoil, Not overwhelming by any means. I shoot G20, G29 and G30.

Deaf Smith

Yes a super sized Glock 26. I'm tempted but I know I'd just keep packing my 26...

But can you imagine a new barrel for the 29 in 9x25 Dillon? A .357 Sig on steroids!

Deaf

Dirty_Harry

I had one, didn't care for it. Recoil wasn't too bad, but I didn't shoot any hot loads through it either. Traded it for my Glock 20 which I love.

223nut

I have had both the 29 and 20, I still have the 20. I liked the 29 but but the velocity loss with the shorter barrel is what did it for me. You can buy extended length barrels for the 29 but I feel that's against the point to having the smaller 29 in the first place. If you reload the velocity difference will not be as big as an issue.

stagpanther

I've had a 20 for a while--a gen 3 sf. I too probably would pass on the 29 due to the trade-off in velocity wouldn't make it viable as a serious woods gun IMO. There are now so many full-power capable 10's on the market--particularly 1911 style with 5 to 6 inch barrels--that is what I would purchase without a doubt if I seriously intended on shooting 10mm to it's original power intent.

jmr40

I have had a G20 for years. Last summer I bought the G29 to have a more compact gun for hiking/backpacking. The size difference is noticeable, the recoil and accuracy are not any different. I can still use the 15 round magazines if I want. I'm keeping the G20 for now, but it could be expendable down the road.

I too probably would pass on the 29 due to the trade-off in velocity wouldn't make it viable as a serious woods gun IMO.

My G20 shoots 200 gr DT @ 1300 fps
My G29 shoots 200 gr DT @ 1250 fps

Getting a 200 gr hardcast bullet up to 1250 fps is a viable woods gun load, my 44 magnum won't shoot 240 gr bullets that fast from a 3" barrel. Having a more compact gun is worth the 50 fps to me.

stagpanther

200 gr at 1300 fps? that's some serious speed! I push my 185's around that fast--but that is pretty potent stuff for 200. I stand corrected then--if the 29 is not much different go for it. I still think I'd go the other way--6" in something like the P220 or DW for ease of handling--but then I'm a very mediocre pistol shooter.

cmdc

What jmr40 said. The 29 only gives up 50-75 fps to the 20 in most ammunition, and a 200 grain fmj or hard cast projectile moving at even 1100 fps is going to carry a good amount of energy and give good penetration. 1200+ fps is just icing on the cake, especially in the G29.

Stevie-Ray

I replaced my Delta Elite with a Glock 29 about 5 years ago, for my woods gun. The Delta is still beautiful, even after over 25 years, so I put it away, electing to subject the Glock to the perils of woods carry. I admit those perils are not much, but the already ugly Glock doesn't seem to mind the bumps and scratches it may see. I elected to get the 29 over the 20, since I had a carry permit, and the 29 carries well. It is also not much of a handful to me, as it is to some. Pet load is DT 200 gr XTPs.

Vt.birdhunter

IVe got glocks 20sf, 29sf and 26.

With average size hands, I find the 26 a tad small, the 20sf a bit big, the 29sf is just right.

I would rather shoot hot loads through a 29 than a 26.

Years back, I had some 10mm glocks, and a mech-tech carbine 10mm. Suffers the same maladies as other glock pistols - poor grip angle, other poor ergos, junky parts, ill-fitting mags, lack of innovation / features, etc.

I've had two Tanfoglio Witness 10mms and never looked back. I don't think I'd ever part with my 6" Hunter 10mm - least not voluntarily. And it's not a crunchenticker - it's an SAO like a 1911, unlike many Witnesses.

Davelliott

All

There is a new conversion coming for the Glock 10mm pistols. It is the 357 Ring Of Fire.
It will fire 158 grain. 357 diameter bullets from the Glock 29 at 1100-1250 fps...and use the same magazines and slide. The spring will need to be upgraded to 23 pounds.
The 10 round 10mm magazine will hold 13 rounds of this new cartridge. They will not have the issues some have had with 9x23 popping out when the slide is pulled back.
Velocities will be higher with the Glock 20 conversions.
I am currently waiting for the Glock 20 barrel with a compensator barrel to test velocities for these cartridges.
You will get higher capacity in the magazine, with real 357 magnum performance in your 10mm semi auto pistol.
I hope to be offering these conversions later this year. There are some test videos on youtube as 357 Ring Of Fire Dave Elliott. Check 'em out. Thanks!

Bongo Boy

Does anyone have the G29? If so, what are your general impressions?

For a truly unbiased perspective, you should visit The 10 Ring sub-forum over at glocktalk.com. ;)

But seriously...

My love for the G29 is truly hard to describe because, while I own two Glocks, I'm not really a huge fan. Neither the G29 nor the G20 feel all that at home in my hands, for different reasons, I suppose. But...

The G29 is my everyday carry gun and as far as its shooting performance--speed, accuracy, controllability--I have nothing negative to say about it. I've put in aftermarket trigger parts and trigger, and added Trijicons. Other than that, I have not modified it (well, okay, I removed the goofy 'hook' on the trigger guard).

If you're looking for a truly useful 10mm for carry, it gets my top recommendation.

While I won't ever part with my Tanfoglio Witness Hunter, either, it's not a carry gun, so something else was called for. Yes, if Smith offered their M&P Compact in 10mm (uh, please) then that would relegate the G29 to the safe rather permanently, at least as far as a carry gun. But until they wise up, the G29 is an excellent shooter.

As for recoil and so on, well, it is a little gun. This to me is just a matter of shooting practice, strengthening the hands (especially the weak hand) and learning the gun. I think I was regularly doing 200-250 rds of medium-hot handloads at a session before getting too fatigued to shoot well. My opinion on handgun recoil is simply this: your hands, arms and shoulders need time to learn to deal with it, and that time can't come in a shooting session or two--it needs to come over substantial calendar time, gradually and with a gradual increase in horsepower...ideally.

Last edited:

stagpanther

I've put in aftermarket trigger parts and trigger, and added Trijicons. Other than that, I have not modified it (well, okay, I removed the goofy 'hook' on the trigger guard).
That's not an aftermarket barrel like Lone-Wolf?