10mm Delta Elite: What Spring and Guide Rod to use?

FREE SPEECH

Looking to replace the plastic guide rod and spring in a Colt Delta 10mm pistol. Can anyone recommend a specific brand guide rod and spring weight (using Wolff springs)?
Is a full length guide rod more durable than the its shorter counterpart?

headroom

The wolff spring is probably the way to go, i can't remember what i;ve got, 26 lb spring, something like that. The full length ive got is an ed brown or wilson combat. Mostly just makes the pistol a bigger pain in the butt to disassemble.

aztec777

Free Speech-It sounds like you have one of the new run of Delta's from Colt based on the 1991's. I would replace that plastic piece with a standard "stubby" length guide rod. Although, since you already have the reverse plug a full length rod may be easier to install for you. Factory spring weight is 23 lbs. and I would replace it with a Wolff spring in either 23 or 24 lb. Guide rod manufacturers include Cominolli, Briley, Harrts, Wilson Combat, Nowlin, Ed Brown, Clark, McCormick, EGW, PSS, Kings, MGW, and a couple of others. Try http://www.brownells.com for availability and pricing. Good luck.

G. Kennedy

If you're going to use full power ammo use a 24#Wolff spring, get rid of the nylon short guide. Go to a standard steel guide and plug or get a one piece full length guide and plug. If you plan on shooting medium velocity loads(180 or 200grain at 950fps)you could use a 18.5#spring. Just be sure to change springs every few thousand rounds, cheap insurance........

Tomas

I suppose I should get off my butt and change my guide rod too. I have an early version DE with the original one still in it. With nearly 10K rounds through it, though, it has held up fine.

I do agree that a Wolff 24.lb spring is the way to go - like he said - cheap insurance.

Tom

------------------
Don't Tread on Me

Why 10mm beats .45 ACP . . .
www.greent.com/40Page/ammo/10/10mm-advoc.htm

Stevie Ray

Ihave had a Stainless Delta since about 1989 and I replaced the guide/spring unit with a kit that King's offered as a fix for battering the gun with full power loads.
It's a full-length rod (two piece) with double spring that I would estimate as 24-28 pounds. I guess it's overkill, but I also put a CP bullets Shok-Buff in every 1000 or so rounds. It makes the gun seem very tame with full power loads. My .02 cents.