10mm deformed bullets when seating

MP-5

Im loading 10mm for the first time and im having problems. The seating die is deforming my bullets slightly on seating stroke. Im loading 200 grain FMJs and there is a ring around the top of the bullet where the seat meets the top of the bullet. The seat looks like its denting the bullet slightly and leaving a ring around the top portion of the bullet. I have an ever so slight taper crimp. OAL is 1.250 and diameter of neck w/bullet is .420 (i think max is .423). The charge is W296 11.6 grains. I know there are better powders out there but wanted to try this one. What should I do? Are these bullets too long? Is my crimp too tight thus deforming my bullets? :confused: Help!

Cal4D4

I get a slight ring on 180gr copper plated cast round noses. If you look at the profile inside the seating punch it is probably a thru hole - I have Hornady dies - of approx .19 diameter. If you really care the punch profile can be matched to the bullet nose using JB Weld or some such filled epoxy. I don't suffer anything from the slight ring. It is centered on the nose, is it not? 296 in the 10mm? I've heard of 2400, but 296? Check out 800x if your measure will work with it.

By the way, what dies do you have and do you crimp separate from the seating process? Highly recommended is separate crimping die. With a case load of 296 you may not get bullet setback, but this can be a hazard.

DAVID NANCARROW

Lee dies have a hemispherical and a flat seating stem. Not sure about RCBS, but also have a set of them. You might try seating the bullet applying the taper crimp in a separate operation. It's worked for me in the past when I was getting a "ring" around the bullet nose.