10mm auto-pistol that won't kB!

Saab1911

I'm suddenly interested in the 10mm. I just recently after 10 years figured
out how to tame the 45 ACP :eek:

Now, I want to try the 10mm, but I don't want a pistol that will kB!

Is Dan Wesson my best option?

cheers,

Jae

Wiskey_33

:DYes, but having the GLOCK 20, there's something cool about having 15 rounds of 10mm in your hand.

I'd look at the Dan Wesson though. Awesome firearms.

Officer's Match

It's a darn good one if you want a 1911. The older Smiths are very good as well. BTW, any pistol will kb if it experiences an overpressure incident.

45_Shooter

I don't want to give the enemy any concessions :D but the 10mm glocks are not known for kB!'s if that's what you were referring to. The problem is largely isolated to .40 and either reloads or bullet setback, combined with an aggressive feed ramp. 10mm has more case capacity and as such is probably less sensitive to imperfections.

OTOH, 10mm is a caliber you're gonna want to reload for to get max. performance from a caliber that can be capable of many things, and with a Glock you're gonna have to replace the barrel to do that. I'd say look for a Delta Elite or a Dan Wesson. They will handle similar to your .45 1911 making training that much easier.

pwelsh4hd

There aren't any 10mm's that spontaneously Kb :confused:. It's great round, with some very nice choices for handgun. Just pick one you like, and it will be just fine, promise. *DW's are nice, as are the Glocks, used S&W, etc....the 10mm round is a little more expensive to shoot though. Look at Double Tap ammo when you want to get the most out of a factory load. Where does everyone get the idea that these (or .40's for that matter) blow up? It's amazing what disinformation can get spread out there, and infect like a bad disease....just use quality factory loads, or know what you're doing when reloading, and everything will be a-ok...and that applies to all firearms.

Wiskey_33

Where does everyone get the idea that these blow up?

I think he was making the assumption, that since GLOCK makes 2 10mm models, that people would be suggesting those, and since all GLOCK's blow up.....:rolleyes:

Saab1911

I think he was making the assumption, that since GLOCK makes 2 10mm models, that people would be suggesting those, and since all GLOCK's blow up.....

Call me paranoid, but I don't want my handgun to kB! And unjustly or not,
Glocks have a reputation for kabooms.

But if Glock 20 has a fully supported chamber, I would consider that one as well.

Cheers,

Jae

Wiskey_33

Call me paranoid, but I don't want my handgun to kB! And unjustly or not,
Glocks have a reputation for kabooms.

Tell that to Uncle Ted!

I wouldn't be worried about it. You can blow any pistol up if your using unsafe ammo.

Just get the DW:D so you don't have to change your screen name.

45_Shooter

Where does everyone get the idea that these (or .40's for that matter) blow up?

Because a .40 is inherently more sensitive to bullet setback and other loading imperfections due to low case capacity and high working pressure. Aggressive feed ramps exacerbate the problem and cause failures to be more frequent. I really don't want to rehash that argument again because like most glock fans always say, proper ammo which is perfectly in spec won't generally cause a kb! failure, it's just more sensitive to imperfect ammo.

But, like I said, a close friend has a G20 and it doesn't seem to have any issues with that kind of thing at all. Only downside is the polygonal rifling goofing up reloading and massive drain pipe grip.

Tell that to Uncle Ted!

You ever seen Nugent's reality show? He doesn't seem to worry about playing chicken with trucks either!

Wiskey_33

You ever seen Nugent's reality show? He doesn't seem to worry about playing chicken with trucks either!

Never watched his show, but just got done reading one of his books, and he hunts with his GLOCK 20. Took a warthog in Africa with it as well. He's been hunting with his for years and it seems as if he's still got all his fingers.

45_Shooter

Never watched his show, but just got done reading one of his books, and he hunts with his GLOCK 20. Took a warthog in Africa with it as well. He's been hunting with his for years and it seems as if he's still got all his fingers

I'm actually kinda surprised old Ted hunts with a G20, for the sole reason that in MI we are limited to 8 round capacity for most hunting, but I guess you could take the mag apart and block it yourself if you had some time.

Te Anau

A friend of mine has an EAA Witness in 10mm that he loves.I would avoid the Glock unless you like things that are anti-ergonomic.

FM12

A poster on www.handloads.com is getting over 1800 fps from his 10MM handloads, I think he is loading 135 grain bullets. no problems with his pistols, but I dont know their mfg. either. Yah HOO!:D

agtman

"... [Glock .40s] have a reputation for kabooms."

Fixed it for you ...

... which of course entails the other "logical" statement that "all GLOCK's blow up." :rolleyes:

There are indeed a significant number of reported Glock .40s Kabooms! firing factory ammo.

I've seen no reports of any Glock 10mms kabooming with factory ammo, though I have read about one such incident caused by - let's just say - ambitious reloading ... :eek:

Wiskey_33

This isn't just me,it's a consensus.

Not sure where you got your data, or did your polling, but there are many people out there that enjoy GLOCK pistols.

try here www.glocktalk.com

Or maybe they're all just crazy and don't know what fits in their hands.

I'd say either the 20 or the DW, depending on what you're going to be using it for.

I'd like to pick up a 20 for some woods protection.

pwelsh4hd

This isn't just me,it's a consensus.
Must be why they don't sell very many :rolleyes:
If you have small hands, it may feel like very much a handfull..but for those with large hands, it can be much more comfortable to shoot than a single stack. The grip angle is a little different, but many actually prefer it, and I've never noticed it to be a problem. You can't rely on a portion of the population to decide what fits you best. Like clothes, cars, etc, we all have our own personal preferences for fit, and just because one size doesn't fit one particular person, doesn't mean it's not ideal for another.

Saab1911

I've seen no reports of any Glock 10mms kabooming with factory ammo, though I have read about one such incident caused by - let's just say - ambitious reloading ...

I plan to use quality factory ammo. It's good to know that Glock 20 does
not have problems with cartridge failures. I thought since Glocks suffer
cartridge failures with 40S&W that the problem could only be worse with
Glock 20, but I stand corrected :eek:

10mm equals or exceeds the performance of 357 magnum. I see no need for
10mm +p+ :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jae

45_Shooter

If you have small hands, it may feel like very much a handfull..but for those with large hands, it's much more comfortable to shoot than a single stack. The grip angle is a little different, but many actually prefer it, and I've never noticed it to be a problem

I have larger hands (I'm 6'3) and prefer a single stack for reasons related to such. I shoot a G20 just fine, and others may prefer a double stack, but it is not ideal for me. I've never really found it comfortable, though not totally objectionable either. I imagine those with smaller hands would have trouble operating it even close to effectively.

10mm equals or exceeds the performance of 357 magnum

Not always. The original .357 round was designed to pump out a 158 gr. bullet at 1550 FPS from an 8" barrel. If you look at what the round is capable of producing out of the longer barrels I think it exceeds the 10mm. There was an article not too long ago that compared a .357 out of a 18" lever carbine to a 30-30 lever carbine, and the two were nearly equal. In standard loadings found on the shelf today out of 4-6" barrels however, I'd agree with you.