10mm Auto: Full House Factory Loads still out there?

Para Bellum

Hi Folks,

I am seriously thinking about getting a Glock 20 as a backup for hunting wild boar (main gun: .30-06). But comparing the .40 and 10mm Auto factory loads of federal, I could only see a marginal difference in performance. Hence, I have two questions:

1. Are there still full hous factory loads in 10mm Auto being produced (by whom?)

2. Why have the, or at least some, 10mm Auto factory loads been so donsized in power?

Have a good day,
PB

Cheapshooter

Cor-Bon Hunter. 180 grain bonded core bullet @ 1350 fps. A little heavier and a little faster than the original 170gr @ 1300
Buffalo Bore and Double Tap also have some hot loads. Winchester Silvertip 175 gr @ 1290 fps is real close being 5 gr. heavier and only 10 fps slower.
Midway USA has a good list and if you click on the individual round it tells you all the ballistics. They are still showing out of stock on many, but I have found some brands around.
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...3&categoryId=7550&categoryString=653***691***

MLeake

+1 Cheapshooter

Same brands and sites I'd have recommended.

In answer to the second part of the OP's question:

I suspect three separate causes for many manufacturers to have downloaded 10mm (and other calibers).

1) Liability. Weaker ammo is less likely to blow up no-name, lower quality brand 10mm (or other caliber) weapons, and the manufacturers have to plan on lowest common denominator engineering and material quality. (EG, .44Special is dumbed down for some of the less-well-made Charter Arms guns)

2) Shooter preference. A lot of shooters buy a 10mm, .41Mag, .44Mag, etc, and then find they hate the recoil and blast. (I did this with a .44Mag Mountain Gun - I now load it with hot Specials, and have bought a 6" 629 for hot Magnum loads.)

3) Production cost. If many, if not most, shooters are happy with a reduced recoil 10mm loading, then I'd guess the manufacturers are happy to save money by loading lighter bullets over less powder.

Just my guesses, FWIW.

RickB

Yeah, like the .44 Mag, a lot of buyers think they want a 10mm. When you look at what handguns are for, there's really not going to be much demand for nosebleed-level 10mm. For hunting, or defense against four-legged varmints, 200@1200 would be great, but there's no need (benefit) for those kinds of ballistics for paper-punching or conventional self-defense use, so why beat-up the gun?

cwok

Ditto on Double Tap 10mm

Double Tap provides as much power as I want.
Its a stout cartridge, but I rarely fire more than 20-30 rounds at a time, mostly a matter of cost, and it certainly is not painful.

One of these days I'll start reloading 10MM and see how 50-100 rounds at a time feels.

booker_t

I've shot 125 rounds in a day, and being comfortable with a high grip I've found it to be very repeatable and does not fatigue the hands, wrists, or arms. Trains you to let the gun recoil, to track the front sight, and fire again when it comes back to your index.

Then again, the vast majority of those were 2-handed, I wouldn't want to fire nearly that many single-handed.

woodguru

For a .357 Python 8" I used for hunting deer I used to use Norma, the difference between those and standard brands was night and day, so was the price. Back then Norma had the reputation for loading the bomb in terms of pushing the limits.

Brian48

The Winchester 175gr Silvertip is a full-house load in my opinion. The paper specs may seem like it's on the mild side compared to the original Normal loadings, but I've seen enough bulged casing on some guns to indicate that this loading is still pretty darn hot.

GONIF

I roll my own and they are god to go for anything 2 or 4 leged in N America ,except brown bear,moose or big elk .I think it woud work on Elk up close 50 ft.
185 grain Rem Golden Saber over 10.6 grains of IMR HI-Skor 800x it gets 1375 fps out of a Glock 20 . Stout but no preasure signs .

blueovelwookie

i use double tap 135gr in my delta elite. the percussion is awsome, it is more of a high crack than a boom. and no more noticable recoil than remington's 180gr fmj's. the 10mm has in my opinion has more left to be discovered, but manufactures are more than likely worried about "blow up" possibilities of some lesser quality guns.

orionengnr

Buffalo Bore makes 180 grain JHPs that run 1350 fps. I put twenty of them through my new-to-me DW CBOB.

At $32+ for twenty rounds, kind of steep...but they have some snap to them. :)

Stevie-Ray

I could have bought all the Silver-Tips I wanted at the last gun show. Guy had about 50 or so boxes. Problem was $23 a box for 20 rounds? Yikes, he can keep them for that. I'll stick to the Double Tap 200 gr loads. I used to buy a lot of PMC; 170 gr HP @ 1200 fps, which is a fairly decent load, consistent, and quite easy on the wallet, at least it used to be. (<$20/50)

Sevens

Yeah, I don't think PMC makes a 10mm load anymore... or if they have re-introduced a 10mm product, I have not yet seen it.

A couple other options for full power 10 appear to be from the brand new Wilson Combat ammo, the well-respected Georgia Arms fodder, BVAC, SwampFox, Elite Ammunition, and of course... the five that have carried 10mm through the dark years: Winchester Silvertip, Hornady, Cor-Bon, Buffalo Bore and Double Tap.

If you buy anything in 10mm produced and marketed by CCI, Federal or Remington, it's loaded light and hardly better than .40 S&W. And overpriced. And brass, in the case of the CCI (unusable) and R-P (thin and crappy) isn't worth the money invested even if you know the ammo is weak.

booker_t

Thursday morning I burned up 100 rounds of DoubleTap 10mm.. a mix of 230gr hardcast and 180gr JHP. Mixture of aimed single shots, double-tap presentations from position 2 (where the grip forms at your belly just after unholstering, the range I was at does not allow holster use), and some multiple target sequences. Most of the evolutions involved shooting 1-4 shots from each of three magazines, with emergency reloads/simulated malfunctions between mags.

My goals for the range session were to work on fight sight tracking during recoil, and to improve my trigger reset awareness, combined with taking up slack as I present the pistol and shift focus from target to front sight. And maintain magazine switching technique/speed.

Between 10mm sets, I would discharge 30-80 .22LR rounds, mostly slow aimed fire or double-taps, focused on maintaining perfect, relaxed trigger squeeze and breath control.

Targets were 1" black circles with a center dot, set at 7 yards, arranged 5x4 on 8.5x11 sheets of paper on carboard backing. Specific circles on the grid were the target of each evolution. Targets were located at 10 o'clock, one at 12, and one at 2. I like to shoot at these small targets as they force me to A) ignore clutter and B) put the round through a spot that's only 2.54 calibers wide. At longer distances (7-15yd), I like to shoot post-it notes and 3x5 cards with center dots. After shooting at small targets like these, the A-section of an IPSC target looks like an aircraft hangar.

By the end, the most fatigued part of my body was my trigger finger. I found that working on "slack control" actually put a fair amount of stress on the finger and by round 70 or so I knew I had been shooting. Didn't hurt, but with the stock trigger in this gun (~5.5# I believe), I was aware of having done some work. I believe I could have accurately shot another 50-100 without issues.

Last edited:

free2game

I'd stay away from recently made double tap. They seem to be downloading their ammo lately. Check out Georgia Arms, they put out some very moderately priced pretty decent power 10mm ammo.

Stevie-Ray

Yeah, I don't think PMC makes a 10mm load anymore... or if they have re-introduced a 10mm product, I have not yet seen it.
They still list 10mm in their Bronze line and it's still the same loads. See here:
PMC Bronze But, like you, I haven't seen any in a while and wonder what price I'll see when I do.:(