1006, 1076, etc vs G20 vs Witness vs Delta Elite

MedicatedOne

1006, 1076, etc vs G20

Anyone out there willing to give me a comparison in the handling and recoil of the Smiths, Witnesses, Deltas versus the G20.
I have the G20 and I am thinking of getting an old Smith 10mm or a Witness 10mm just to have another one.
For the Witness, I am interested in the comp version, this is a fun gun, so I am not worried about the combat aspects of compensation.
I have shot ported revolvers and like the recoil taming qualities of the porting.

Any input is welcome on the weapons,
MO :cool:

Handy

I had a .45 ACP Witness carry- comp that was ridiculously accurate. That model uses a compact slide with a threaded barrel and an external single port compensator. The comp works very well and increases the lock-up to great affect. With the tennifer Wonderfinish it was around $300. Handling was CZ standard.

The Smith's seem big and clumpy and the Colt rather delicate, in comparison.

agtman

"1006, 1076, etc vs G20 vs Witness vs Delta Elite."

Wow, that's quite a Main Event card - 10mm night at the Savoy. :D

Well, I have a G-20 and Smith 1076. I prefer the 1076 over the 1006 because of it's "Commander"-sized slide and the less bulgey frame-mounted decocker (which some claim are fragile, mine's worked just fine). It's a 9+1 single stack, and conceals better than the G-20 or a Sig 220, which I carried long ago, being slimmer than either. (A 1066 gets you the same size gun but with the traditional Smith slide-mounted decocker, if that's a factor).

I shot some of the early DEs and later both a box-stock blue DE and a Gold Cup with all the bells & whistles. All were extremely accurate. This, by the way, was back when most standard factory 10mm was running pretty hot, about what Winchester STs or the Corbons feel like now.

Comparing the G-20, DE and Smith 10mms, there's a definite difference in how all of them handle the 10mm and how you feel the recoil, at least in the hotter loadings that I like.

You have a Glock 20, so you know how the polymer absorbs recoil, aided by its low bore-grip axis.

The all-steel 1076 is a heavy SOB, and sprung with a 20lb Wolff recoil spring, feels quite mild actually.

I'd put a 24lb recoil spring and FLGR in the DE and loose Colt's goofy double-spring set-up; however, once you've done that, it has the smooth egonomics of any other quality 1911-pattern pistol. They feed very reliably in my experience. Given the proliferation of 10mm-recoil horror stories, you'll probably be surprised at how managable a properly sprung DE feels. Factory 1911 10mm mags are still available from Brownells and CMC.

If you get the chance, pick up a Smith 1076/1066 or the DE.

I'll leave the 10mm Witness to others for comment.

Last edited:

Hand_Rifle_Guy

I 've got a 1076. Sweeet gun! The shorter barbel/slide makes for a very good balance, but I haven't shot a 1006, only handled one. Ditto for the Witness, as I haven't found one yet. But bet your whiskers I'm buyin' it when I do, those things have an amazing grip.

MedicatedOne

Thanks for all the input guys. :)
I am going to a gun show this weekend and I guess I will see what they have hanging around there. All my options have their good sides, so I may have to buy them all.

Later,
MO