100 years ago today

T. O'Heir

At 0530, 9 April 1917, after 5 months of preparation(every SOP in current use was invented during W.W. I by the Canadian Corps.), the barrage began to open the Battle of Vimy Ridge(called that by Canadians only). 983 guns(and 150 MGs), from trench mortars to 15" howitzers, fired 6 million rounds in 1 hour 40 minutes on a front of 4 miles by roughly 5 miles.
By approximately noon, the Canadian Corps(fighting together for the first and only time in W.W. I) with one British Brigade attached had done what neither the British nor French had been able to do in 3 years. And handed the Allies the first victory of the war.
10,602 casualties: 3,598 killed and 7,004 wounded, as of 12 April. That did not count the other roughly 10,000 casualties from January to April in the run up to the assault.
Lest We Forget.
Highly recommended to read Pierre Berton's definitive book 'Vimy'. Published by McClelland & Stewart, 1986. ISBN: 0-7710-1339-6

bamaranger

thanks

O'Heir,

Thanks for that reminder of WWI. That war is quickly slipping from the awareness of most folks in this day and age.

Sniping was popularized by WW I which quickly slipped into obscurity after the war. When WW II started, the 1940 British sniping manual still envisioned trench warfare and dummy heads. WW I also gave us aerial combat, bombing of civilians from the air, tanks and chemical warfare.

Old ideas that were reinvented: flame throwers (Byzantine Navy had Greek Fire), periscope rifles (Union soldiers used something like that during the Civil War), trench warfare (been around since Vauban), aerial reconnaisance (been around since Napoleon) and submarines (tried in the American Revolution and successful in the Civil War).